Duh!

Last Updated:

1. burt

burt New Member This Topic's Starter

Three days into Android, via a HTC Desire, and I'm a convert - great OS backed up by an open, friendly community - got my head around most things by trial/error/forums, but there's one thing: I'm OCD about keeping my OSs supertidy, so the preloaded Orange branded HTC is a pain, as its got a load of URL/program shortcuts for stuff I'll never use; games, pay-subscribe traffic apps, etc - thing is, they have no uninstallers, or even the sledgehammer of a delete - they just sit there in my manage applications list mocking me! Tried a couple of third party uninstallers, but these just scan the installed apps for ones with uninstallers, something I can do by hand....

I'm sure there's a nice easy way of getting rid of these objects, but I wanted to check with people who know what they're doing first - I've got a 3rd party FS explorer, OI, which I can hit the FS of the phone, where I can see .apk and .opex files for the offending apps, so a question:

1) What are the consequences of deleting both files in Android? Orphaned objects elsewhere, etc...

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

I think you'll need to root your Desire to get rid of the standard stuff on the ROM. There's no root option available yet for the Desire, as far as I know, but keep an eye on the forums and something will come up soon enough.

3. Celox

Celox Well-Known Member

4. burt

burt New Member This Topic's Starter

It's a moot point anyway; I can't delete the file with the access granted to the OI file manager. I guess I'll have to root it...

Thanks anyway!