dumb 3g questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. nerdofprey

nerdofprey Active Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry for this dumb question, my 3g doesn't seem to work. WiFi is fine. I tick the mobile internet box and nothing happens. I can't send pictures either. I am worried i have ticked or untied a vital setting!! Can anyone tell me what boxes should be ticked a any other idea????

Advertisement
  2. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

On your homescreen press menu > settings > wireless and networks > mobile networks > network mode > then tick the gsm/wcdma auto option.

Then your phone should always connect to the best internet available e.g 3g.

3. nerdofprey

I already had that set, I have everything ticked on that page as well, is that right? I haven't been able to get any 3g or any internet except WiFi in last couple of weeks

4. BlueDynamo

BlueDynamo Member

I've got the same problem using launcher pro. Can't get mobile internet to work.

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Its nothing to do with launcherpro. Launcherpro is a user interface for the home screens and app drawer. Mobile internet is not controlled by it. It is controlled by Android itself.

To the OP, are you sure in mobile networks, your APN's are correct? You haven't installed anything like juice defender or any other applications to control mobile data connectivity have you?

6. williamj1

williamj1 Well-Known Member

• What network are you with?

• You should be able to get them to send the settings for your phone to save for picture messages and internet etc.

• You should be able to check if your on the right APN setting, i.e if on O2 pay go the APN is called O2 pay and go (payandgo.o2.co.uk)
    Go to settings/ Wireless & Networks/Mobile Networks/Access Point Names and see if it matches what you would expect. Write up here what it says and ill try and find the correct settings for you.

• Also, sorry if this is incredibly patronising but are you certain you get 3g signal where you are?

• Finally, how old is your sim as if its over 2ish years it most likely won't be 3g compatible.

7. nerdofprey

Thanks for your replies, i am with Orange, my apn says orangeinternet. Which sounds right, I haven't installed any connectivity apps, no juice defender or task killer. My sim is about three months old and was shipped with phone. I had no problems with 3g until about two weeks ago, I used to access at home or work now I can't get 3g anywhere!! My partners Orange iPhone can get 3g so its definitely me thats the issue

8. Lacrimosa

Lacrimosa Active Member

Have you tried swapping your SIM into your partner's iPhone and seeing if it works?
    Like everyone else said, review your APN settings here.
    If it still doesn't work, it's time to call it in.

9. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

Do you get 'H' or 'G' at the top of the screen but no '3G'? if so, thats normal on the desire, 'H' is HSDPA or 3.5G and your phone will use it over 3G if its available, if its not then chances are that 3G isnt either because they tend to be the same transmitters so you will get 'G' connection or edge etc.

10. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

If it's anything like me 3G on Orange is painful.

I usually get either H or G & if I do get 3G most of the time G is faster!

11. nerdofprey

I get no letters at the top of the screen, no 3g, h or g I tick mobile internet but nothing happens.

12. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Well that points to an incorrect apn to me. You can get a signal for phone calls and sms i assume? So the radio is working fine.

APN settings should be something like this:

Taken from here:

Android UK News, Reviews and Allsorts Orange UK APN and Network Settings

1. Name = Orange Internet
    2. APN = orangeinternet (case sensitive)
    3. MCC:234
    4. MNC:33
    5. APN Type: default
    6. Ignore everything else and leave it as <Not set>

• Name = Orange MMS
    • APN = orangemms
    • Proxy = 192.168.224.010
    • Port = 8080
    • Username = Orange
    • Password = Multimedia
    • Server = Leave blank
    • MMSC = http://mms.orange.co.uk
    • MMS proxy = 192.168.224.010
    • MMS port = 8080
    • MMS protocol = WAP 2.0
    • MCC = 234
    • MNC = 33
    • APN type = mms

So just to clarify, that is 2 APNs. One should be selectable (the top one) and the other not.

13. nerdofprey

Just an update, I managed to fix this a couple of weeks ago by turning my phone on and off!!!! Now it works fine. Thanks for all your help though!!!!