• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

dumb question about unlocking

Ok so here is a dumb question for you. when does one get a phone unlocked? Can an inactive phone be unlocked? or does it have to be active? sorry, older and not really that knowledgeable.

That's not a dumb question, most phones do not need to be active to be unlocked. Make sure it isn't blacklisted, so I would say check the IMEI is clean.

Reactions: MrLaserman
Upvote 0
I have a MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy Exhibit I used for a year and a half (bought new from MetroPCS) that is no longer active just sitting here and thought maybe I'd use it with my pay as you go Tmobile sim card to replace the phone the sim card is currently in which is an older basic phone. I looked at the prepaidphonenews web site which seems to indicate a phone has to be active but I could be wrong on how I read it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones