Dumb Rooting Question

Last Updated:

1. vicshalls

vicshalls Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Please dont be to harsh on me, but I was looking at how to root your phone and when they tell you

"Note: This process will wipe all data from the phone, so you will HAVE to start from stock."

Does this mean I will loose all my contacts? I know dumb, but that is the only thing that is keeping me from rooting.

Advertisement
  2. NovaFox238

NovaFox238 Well-Known Member

If you are Synced via Gmail (Google COntacts) then no, you shoudnt have a problem. If ur not using gmail for ur contacts, Sync them with ur computer before doing a wipe.

3. vicshalls

By syncing them to your computer you mean by using the software that came with my evo to back up the phone? Just so you know I came from a blackberry and I am use to how that system backs up and reloads.

4. robg2008

robg2008 Well-Known Member

you can sync your contacts with various programs i.e, outlook, mac address book. then you could save the file of your contacts to your gmail account and then when you flash a new rom and enter your gmail login info you will instantly get all of your contacts. if you plan on doing alot of flashing i recommend getting your contacts to your gmail account.

vicshalls likes this.
  5. vicshalls

I wanted to root the phone and add a new ROM but the more I read the more nervious I become. All I wanted to do was get rid of the bloatware, but I cant seem to figure out what each ROM can and can not do. It would be my luck I would brick it and be screwed from there. Guess I just need to get more familiar with my phone before I go screwing it all up. If this was just a computer I would be set. LOL. Computers I know how to fix. lol