• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dummies guide to downgrading?

smiffeh

Lurker
May 14, 2011
I know the basic stuff of what root does, consequences, pluses, etc. And I now want to root my phone. Problem is, I upgraded to Gingerbread long ago, and I'm kind of regretting it now.
Can anyone provide me with an extremely dumbed down, so-easy-your-mother-could-do-it downgrading guide? I have a laptop with 64bit Win7 with no internet access, and I'm planning on rooting my phone and using the Barnacle tethering app to remedy this. It would be extremely nice if you could tell me all the things I need to have downloaded/installed onto the laptop beforehand, that way the downgrading and rooting process won't be interrupted.
After the rooting process, I also plan to install Cyanogen Mod, so if there were a dumbed down guide to doing that as well, it would definitely be appreciated.
Yes, I am a definite noob to all this, which is why I require a hand-holding guide.

Thanks so much for your time.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones