Dumped by cable modem for 4G

Last Updated:

1. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I hate comcast. Just thought I would preface this with that statement.

I picked up the USB 3G/4G USB modem, added it to my plan, and connected it to an old useless laptop. Using Windows' built in "internet connection sharing", I connected the LAN on the laptop to the WAN port of my router. Boom, DSL speed connection served up to my entire home.

And as an added bonus, when I go out of state and need an internet connection on my normal laptop, I just take the thing with me and my connection follows me everywhere I go.

Advertisement
  2. xtravbx

xtravbx Well-Known Member

Cool. Not really an evo type post though, is it?

3. mcl1981

It's relevant to people wondering if 4G is worthwhile. If I can use it to replace my home high speed interent, that says something.

4. xtravbx

xtravbx Well-Known Member

Right. It just has nothing to do w/ the EVO is my point.

5. cmanbrazil

cmanbrazil Well-Known Member

Two things:

1. The moderators have been pretty clear about people's rights to post. If you don't think its relevant you don't have to reply.

2. Columbus ohio is testing 4g. I am at a coffee shop using pdanet with a 4g connection. I did a speed test and it is a 9 meg connection. This makes my home wifi feel slow.

I don't know if the speeds will stay this fast, but this blows roadrunner here away. Hd videos, hulu, all load so fast it is scary. If you are in Columbus Ohio Grandview, parts of OSU downtown, parts of the northside/westerville/Polaris all have it.

If I didn't think my would expload, I would use it all of the time.:D

6. overclock

overclock Well-Known Member

Just be careful. There isn't a cap on using your phone as a hotspot but there us a cap for modems.

7. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

You do know that you can do exactly the same thing with your Evo, Right? No additional hardware cost, monthly fees, or data caps.

8. mcl1981

Oh. Gee I thought one of the big features of the Evo is 4G connectivity. Silly me. You're welcome to go away if you feel so strongly about this being terrible.

No there isn't. Only on 3g. There is no cap on 4G.

No kidding. And I do it all the time when I'm not at home. But using my Evo as a 4G hot spot for home interent is completely impractical. I did it for two weeks as a test. You have to have it plugged into AC power constantly and you have to be turning it on and off every time you come and go. And you lose your home internet connection as soon as you walk out the door. Not worth it.

9. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

even using a hotspot/modem (ie. Overdrive), there are NO data caps on 4G with Sprint. none.