• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Duo Telephone?

jojo99

Oct 16, 2012
California
At some point in the past, I clicked something from Hangouts making it handle phone calls. However, I was never able to find out how to turn off the default phone app.

So when I get a call, I get both apps fighting for the call. When I answer, the other app keeps ringing for a few rings. Then I get a missed call msg, even though I took the call.

I expected that when I agreed to use Google's Hangouts, that it would have disabled the old phone app. But noooooooooooo.

Does anyone know how to sort this out and cancel one or the other apps, so I can have phone calls handled by only one app?

I am at v5.1.

Try going to Settings, Apps, slide right to "ALL", find "Google Dialer" and disabling that.
No such app in my list. But did see Hangouts Dialer, so uninstalled that.

I had expected there would be some options somewhere to control which dialer you use but seems not. Maybe Google should spend more time on functionality and less time on eye candy design stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones