Dupe problem - Where is contact data stored - Memory / SD card

Last Updated:

1. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor This Topic's Starter

So, the moron at the Verizon store who was activating my replacement Droid decided to import or retrieve contact data from my broken droid / SD card....he didn't know that it handled all the contacts from the cloud. As soon as I entered my gmail login it imported all my contacts and so, now I have contacts with duplicate data and some contacts that are now just phone numbers. I tried deleting the contact data and resyncing but it appears to be grabbing this duplicate data from somewhere. All my contacts are CLEAN in gmail when viewed online. But if I look on the phone, when go to edit them each person has 1 contact with multiple google contacts merged together. The problem is, any time I go to search contacts or enter a contact in email or create a contact shortcut, all of them are appearing twice in the selection list.

I went through each contact and split the merges, essentially deleting the dupes, but they are still appearing multiple times in the search/selection lists....and when I resync the dupes come back. I don't see anything that looks like contact data/backup on the SD card and don't know if that is something that can be deleted from the phone's memory or not?

HELP!

[I know I can deleted all the dupes, but my concern is that I did this already and they came back. Is this data stored anywhere else that it might be pulling it from again when I sync?]

Advertisement
  2. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Just do a factory reset and also go on google from your pc to make sure nothing is duplicated there.

3. buckyweet

buckyweet Active Member

Since you said you've already fixed all the duplicates on your GMail contacts list, give this a try, as it worked for me:

1) In Settings->Accounts & sync settings, disable Background data and Auto-sync
    2) In Applications->Manage Applications, choose Menu button->Filter->ALL
    3) Contacts->Clear Data
    4) Contacts Storage->Clear Data
    5) Go back into Settings->Accounts & sync settings and enable Background data and Auto-sync
    6) Give it a little while to update all of your GMail contacts

4. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor This Topic's Starter

that's exactly what I did...and the dupes came back. I just went through gmail and cleared all the dupes again. Right now, my phone contacts are OK. I just have to switch out phones again and I have a feeling when I do they will come back .... I just hope not.