1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Duplicate contact phone numbers in Handcent SMS

Last Updated:

1. crucifixion

crucifixion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think this is a Handcent issue because I'm not really seeing it in the default app.

For some reason I get multiple numbers for a contact when sending a SMS- the same number!

I have one contact that when I select to send an SMS to, I get 7 options to choose to send to, and guess what, all 7 are the same phone number. And its not a format issue, it still duplicates if the number has brackets over the area code or just dashes.

Not sure what to do and when I go into the individual contact (using People) the number is only listed once.

How do I resolve this?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. crucifixion

crucifixion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

anyone?

3. karma2burn

karma2burn Well-Known Member

I have the same thing and I think it has to do with the linked google profile in the contacts list. If you unlink them and delete the one it should reduce the numbers to a single one in handcent.

4. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

If you have the phone set to sync with googlemail and your google account in the accounts and sync section of the settings menu, you could try going to menu/settings/applications/manage applications and find your contacts storage, delete the data and let the phone re-sync your contacts.

I had duplicate contacts and this sorted my problem.

you may want to use mybackup pro or some other app to backup your contacts first just in case they dont re-sync properly.

5. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

I have been having a similar problem lately and I too believe it is related to Handcent.

Lately when I try to add a new contact from Handcent I notice that in other dialers and in the contact app there are several linked accounts to the new contact. This is strange considering these people are brand new contact adds, not existing Facebook friends or anything like that.

6. pelli69

pelli69 New Member

I have the same problem and am using the standard SMS app and not handcent

7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

It your data -- not the SMS app. Clean up your contacts. If your contacts are linked they'll appear as one entry in your contacts even though they're duplicates (mentioned above).