Duplicate contacts removal questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. ohioboy

ohioboy New Member This Topic's Starter

Just received my Incredible last night and already have 2 sets of contacts. One from Google (gmail) and one from the backup assistant. They have you download those on the backup assistant when setting up the phone.

I would like to delete the backup assistant ones and use the Google ones. How would I go about that?

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement
  2. ChuckFarley

ChuckFarley Well-Known Member

You don't really need to delete them, you just need to "link" them. Under people, click on the contact, upper right corner there's the link icon, click on all contacts and find the duplicate entry for the same contact, either phone or gmail. It will merge the two while keep unique info between the two entries.

Hope that helps.

3. ohioboy

ohioboy New Member This Topic's Starter

I have over 500 of them. Is there a way to do them in mass?

4. SynisterWolf

SynisterWolf Well-Known Member

nope... but if the back up from vzw is the same as gmail you can do a batch delete and just choose one to sync to your phone.

5. cooksalot

cooksalot Well-Known Member

Ok I had like a dozen of one contact in my phone book. (something that started when I had my Moto Q) So I figured I'd try linking them. I chose the first on the page (since the whole page was just the same person listed over and over) in the contact page I tapped on the link symbol had a little 5 over it. It gave me a whole list of the same person with little broken link icons. I tapped on the broken link to link them together. Then I linked all of those saved backed out to the contact list again and then went back in. Took like 3 times but it was faster than I thought it would be since it will do more than just one link at a time.