Duplicate Contacts (well not quite)

1. bigtone0777

bigtone0777 Member

Hi everyone I hope your all having a good night!

Sorry if this is something that's been answered many times before but after browsing the forum I couldn't find an answer.

My contact list has on average 8 duplicates. When I say duplicates I don't mean that the contact name appears 8 times but when you go into the contact the number and any other details that was saved to it appears 8 times. This seems to have happened after restoring my contacts from my memory card after having to do factory resets etc. I tried an app called Contact Remover by Holyhog Software but this did not see the duplicated details, only the actual contact names. Is there an easier way to delete the duplicated details other than having to edit each contact manually?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question which I'm pretty certain will have been raised and answered on this forum before!

Tony

Advertisement
    :
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Are you syncing to Google?

And what phone model do you have?
  3. bigtone0777

bigtone0777 Member

Sorry I should have mentioned!

Yes I'm syncing to google so I'm guessing that it's sync'd and restored from memory card each time.

My phone is an HTC Wildfire S (on 3 UK android version 2.3.5)

Thanks
  4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Ah I see the problem. You have 8 copies of the contacts in your phone from restoring from memory card and then it merges all contacts. If you ever do a factory reset again, don't bother restoring contacts from memory card if you are syncing to Google. The phone will automatically download them from the server and they're all be be back. You'd have to delete all non-Google contacts by unmerging them and then deleting the duplicates.
    bigtone0777 likes this.
  5. mikeca

mikeca Well-Known Member

I had this problem on my Optimus V and figured it out after months of trying things. I logged into Gmail on the computer and from there went to the contacts. There was an option to eliminate duplicates (or merge) can't remember what it said, but one click on the computer and then it synced to the phone. Problem solved.

Hope that helps!
    bigtone0777 likes this.
  6. bigtone0777

bigtone0777 Member

That's what I've been looking for but I can't find my contact's on my Gmail account on the computer. I'm sure I can get it sorted now I've been pointed in the right direction. Thanks Guys!
  7. bigtone0777

bigtone0777 Member

Found em Doh!
  8. bigtone0777

bigtone0777 Member

Now what I need to do is unlink all my contacts and delete the duplicates. It's loads tidier already now that I've found my contacts in my Gmail account. Thanks again for the help Guy's and sorry for the noob questions lol.
    Hope you all have a good Sunday!
  9. bigtone0777

bigtone0777 Member

All sorted and I now have loads more memory left on my phone now I've deleted the 500 and odd contacts on the phone memory and got rid of all my duplicate google contacts. Thanks very much for all your advice!
  10. bkgroup

bkgroup New Member

You can find and merge duplicate contacts directly from your Google account.
    To merge your contacts from Google account, just go to https://www.google.com/contacts/ & from there you can see your added contacts to Google account.​
    Now all you need to do is just click on more option at the upper side and you will see the option to find and merge duplicate contacts as shown in the image above.

Resource : How To Find & Merge Duplicate Contacts on Google Account
    bigtone0777 likes this.