Support Duplicate entries in Contacts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SirCheese, Jul 29, 2010.

1. SirCheese

SirCheese Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    if i edit a contact, it's got like 3 rows of the same info listed, what's the best way to clean this out?

Advertisement

2. Iforgit

Iforgit Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    I did it all online. If you go into contacts under your gmail. Click on the boxes next to the duplicate entries so that you have more than 1 person selected then look to the right and there is a blue line that says merge these contacts. I had to do this after many of my phone numbers were separate from my email addresses.

Also I created a new group so that I didn't get every single person I ever emailed on my phone and just the people I email/call most often.

3. SirCheese

SirCheese Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    they aren't duplicated on line that i can see, just on the phone, like if i try to send a txt message, ill type the name, it shows it like 2-3 times, same name and number.

4. Iforgit

Iforgit Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Then I would suggest to long press and then choose delete. They might've gotten there if you did a backup of your phone number then reinstalled phone book.

Whatever the case may be I find it a lot easier if you are at a computer to fool around with your contacts rather than doing it on the phone itself.

5. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    computer tech
    Virginia
    If they are correct online and im assuming there isnt anything on the phone that isnt in gmail contacts this is what i would do.

1. Log into gmail and export you contacts list (always good to have a backup)
    2. Delete all contacts from the phone
    3. Re-sync

If in fact the online contacts are correct then they should sync back with no duplicates. If they are still screwed up when you re-sync there is something wrong in the gmail side of things.

6. FanDr0id

FanDr0id New Member

Jan 8, 2011
    You have probably solved this by now but since I have just had to resolve this problem myself, and in order to help anyone else with the same issue, here's what I did:

- Select 'Contact' by preference
    - Press the Menu button
    - Select 'Edit contact' from the options
    - Wait for contact info to arrive then press Menu button again
    - Select 'Separate' option
    - Select 'Yes' option from dialogue box to confirm action

At this point, all duplicate entries will now appear in Contacts section.

- Select a duplicate entry
    - Press Menu button
    - Select 'Delete'

Do this for all duplicate entries.

In my case, this occurred when I had a replacement Android phone and had several back-up entries when data was transferred and also synced.