duplicate files in a directory called MNT?Support

Last Updated:

1. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

In your Desire's phone memory, do you have a directory called MNT?

Since upgrading to 2.2, I have a directory on the phone memory called MNT that contains 3 other directories: asec, sdcard, and secure.

the 'sdcard' directory contains duplicates of every file and directory that is on my sdcard, and if I change any file on the sdcard its duplicate in this folder also changes?

maybe this is froyo's way of managing aps to sd etc?

but... since upgrading to 2.2, when I go to manage ringtones and notifications, the phone is seeing 2 copies of every custom ringtone or notification sound that I have on the sdcard? there are only 1 copy of the file in the sdcard/media/audio/ringtones folder, so I guess its also seeing the one in the MNT/sdcard/media/audio/ringtones on the phone?

I'm not even sure what the MNT directory is for or where it came from, maybe it had been created by a backup app like mybackupro, lookout or astro?

I doubt the files in the MNT/sdcard folder can be the same size as the ones on my sdcard as there isnt that much room on the phones memory so they must be shortcuts or something named the same as the actual files.

can anyone technical and knowledeable in the workings of android explain this please?

cheers

Advertisement
  2. DragosP

DragosP Active Member

Remember: Android is a virtual machine running in linux, so, it has a similar folder structure.
    So, /mnt/sdcard is the place where linux "mount" the sdcard.
    And, /sdcard is a symlink to /mnt/sdcard. DO NOT TOUCH any files from /mnt/sdcard, because it's the same with /sdcard!

3. CarsnGadgets

Thats what I assumed, but if thats the case, why do I now see duplicates of all my custom ringtones and notification files when I go to settings/sound/phone ringtone or settings/sound/notification sound? I dont get duplicates of pictures or any other file.

and only since I updated to 2.2?

mixzing music player also sees duplicates of all sound and music files but I have excluded the MNT folder from its media search.

4. DragosP

DragosP Active Member

Are you sure they aren't really duplicated on sdcard?

5. CarsnGadgets

I did a search in astro for one of the ringtone files and it showed the file and the copy in the MNT folder only.

6. DragosP

DragosP Active Member

So, then they are somehow physicaly duplicated. Check where they are on the sdcard.

7. CarsnGadgets

no, thats what im saying, there are the actual files, and the 'copies' in the MNT folder that must be smaller in size as the phone memory isnt large enough to hold all the files on the sdcard. The search in astro shows only the file and its 'copy' no actual duplicates on the sdcard.

Have you looked to see if you also have this MNT folder on the phone, please could you do that?

cheers.

8. DragosP

DragosP Active Member

Of course I have it.

Later edit. "MNT" or "mnt"? Because it's normal to have only 'mnt'.

9. CarsnGadgets

mnt - lowercase.

Ok, I just copied manually am mp3 file into the /media/ringtones folder using astro.
    that 1 file is not duplicated when I look in settings/sounds/ringtones, where as all other custom ones are still duplicated, it seems it only effects the files that were on the phone before I updated to 2.2.

I will try deleting all my custom sounds, rebooting, and then putting them all back onto the sdcard and re-asigning them.

10. DragosP

DragosP Active Member

Man, try to look where the duplicate files are under "/mnt/sdcard" and erase them!

11. CarsnGadgets

there werent 'duplicate' duplicates in the mnt folder, just the 1 file, and as I said, if I deleted or modified the one in the mnt folder it also effected the on on the sdcard, so I didnt delete the duplicates.

I think I have just sorted the problem though, I think it must be a media database file or something, I have just removed all custom sound files from /media using the pc and rebooted the phone, re-scanned media files then put all the files back onto the sdcard and re-scanned the media files a second time, it now shows no duplicates in settings/sounds/ringtones or /notifications.

thanks for your help though.

12. Greco

Greco New Member

Man, try to look where the duplicate files are under "/mnt/sdcard" and erase them!