duplicate sms?

Last Updated:

1. hermy65

hermy65 Active Member This Topic's Starter

yesterday i updated to the leaked 2.3.15 to see how it worked. I started getting duplicate sms messages in both handcent and the stock text messaging app. So i wiped data/cache and tried it again and got the same thing. So today i downgraded to 2.3.13 to see if it would fix it...same issue. Can anybody tell me why im getting duplicate sms message all of a sudden?

Advertisement
  2. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Well-Known Member

Perhaps a dumb question, but did you turn off notifications in the stock messaging app?

3. hermy65

its not a notification....im actually getting duplicate messages

4. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member

I'm getting the same thing, I posted a thread in the support area yesterday and no one has given any kind of fix, or even why it's happening.

5. hermy65

its annoying as hell...hopefully somebody figures it out :/

6. kross

kross Member

Bump... I'm having the same problem, and came here to make a new topic. Hopefully someone has some answers for us.

7. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

so are you saying that you are getting one sms in handcent, and another sms in the stock app for a total of 2 messages? or are you saying you get two sms in handcent and 2 sms in the stock app for a total of 4 sms? If its the later I have no answer for you, but if its the former then thats normal. Just because you download another app doesn't mean the stock app stops working. You will still receive messages there as well. What you have to do is turn the notifications off in the stock app so you don't get notified twice.

8. hermy65

it was the later...i would get 2+ in both apps...but i think i may have figured it out.

I wiped data, wiped cache, formatted system, mounted and installed 2.3.15 then reloaded my backup through TiBu then froze the stock messaging app...now granted ive only received like one message since then but it only came in once. Will update if it breaks again

9. jreed2560

Please do. That's just crazy.

10. jreed2560

One of the weirdest thing that use to happen to me with my eris was when I would power it on or off, itwould send a blank text to whoever I texted last.

11. alershka

alershka Member

I'm not sure if you fixed this yet but on my phone with the 2.3.15 leak it appears there are two messaging apps in the leak. The blur one and another one. I went in using root explorer and renamed one of them .bak and now I only get the one message.

In the /system/app directory

messaging.apk (the blur one)
    mms.apk (the other one)

I kept the blur one for now but you can pick the one you want to keep.

12. kross

kross Member

Still having a problem myself. To clarify, I am also getting two messages from both text programs (stock and handcent). Think I willcheck and see if I for some reason have two messaging apps that are running, and if so I will try renaming them.

13. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Well-Known Member

It has to be a problem with the timestamps on Handcent. When I get both messages they have different times. Come at the exact time but are stamped 4 hours apart. Also noticed that if I have handcent open with it happens I don't get the doubles... but when the popup appears is when I get 2. Taking out one of the messaging app didn't work for me either.

14. hermy65

Well it seems that what i did in my last post fixed my issues. I received about a dozen text messages today and they only came once.

15. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Well-Known Member

Mine is fixed now too. Unchecked the self check box under the received message settings and took out one of the two txt msg apps and im good to.go.

16. antnyh

antnyh Well-Known Member

Renaming one of the messaging apk's is what helps. Apparently with the themes that we load we duplicate the messaging apps. But in order for it to actually take affect you have to reboot your phone. That in turns makes the apk that you changed to bak inactive. If you don't reboot the change doesn't take place. Hope that helps.