• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dust under the glass

Elader

Lurker
Mar 26, 2011
Hello!

I picked up the atrix at the beginning of March. I had to return the first one due too the external speaker being on the fritz.

My second atrix works fine and the speaker works okay, but there is a small speck of dust invader the glass that I cannot get to dislodge. It's minor but annoying and I figure if there is one there now there will likely be another somewhere down the line.

I am going to take this one back and swap it for a third phone. My question is, how do I most efficiently back up my phone? I've had this one for a couple of weeks now and I'd like to not have to start all over (again)!

I know the MotoBlur will save my account settings, but is there a way to back up my apps and data?

I don't have access to an sd card at the moment, so anything outside of that would be best.

Thanks in advance for any help!

app brain supposedly backs up your apps. As far as backing up the rest of info on your phone (layout, texts, browser favorites, photos..anything else?), I have no idea.

Another reason why I don't know why so many people here bash the iPhone for "having" to plug the phone in to a pc. You spend 2 minutes tethered to sync with iTunes and EVERYTHING is backed up for you. Wish there was a solution like that for the Atrix

Upvote 0
According to iFixit, no... the glass is not glued to the screen. There's pro's and con's to this design. On the one hand, it makes it cheap and easy to replace a cracked digitizer. On the other, if not properly sealed, it allows dust in.

I had a 3G iPhone with dust, so even on the iPhone, dust could get introduced at the factory. On the 3GS and 4G, I believe it's glued on.

Upvote 0
so basically putting an atrix into your pocket is game over..dust will swarm into the screen overtime?

If its an improperly sealed screen, yes. My first Atrix had dust under the screen and I took it back to AT&T. They allowed me to inspect a 2nd Atrix which also had a speck of dust. The one I have now is sealed perfect. Never had an issue pocketing it.

Upvote 0
If its an improperly sealed screen, yes. My first Atrix had dust under the screen and I took it back to AT&T. They allowed me to inspect a 2nd Atrix which also had a speck of dust. The one I have now is sealed perfect. Never had an issue pocketing it.
For your current Atrix, when you pressed down on the glass, you didn't see it budge from the bezel frame? I'm noticing that with my Atrix. I've gone to various Bell stores and 3rd party stores and this is prevalent in all of their model Atrix phones.

Upvote 0
For your current Atrix, when you pressed down on the glass, you didn't see it budge from the bezel frame? I'm noticing that with my Atrix. I've gone to various Bell stores and 3rd party stores and this is prevalent in all of their model Atrix phones.

Not that I can tell. I got my eyes level with the phone and pressed down on the screen. Seeing as how you have to press down pretty hard for the screen to do any movement at all, I wouldn't worry about it unless dust is getting in.

Upvote 0

That seems like a defect in design. Unless you're talking about pressing down unusually hard on the screen.

Upvote 0
Not that I can tell. I got my eyes level with the phone and pressed down on the screen. Seeing as how you have to press down pretty hard for the screen to do any movement at all, I wouldn't worry about it unless dust is getting in.

That seems like a defect in design. Unless you're talking about pressing down unusually hard on the screen.

I don't think I was pressing THAT hard on it...I mean the pressure I put on the screen with my thumbs MUST be less then when I sit on it! My colleague/sales rep said that normal push didn't do anything and they'd need to use 'force' to get it to budge that 0.5mm. Maybe I'm stronger than I thought I was...

Upvote 0
IMHO dust can get under any screen these days, its a crap shoot. My Atrix was perfect in every way...not a single build quality issue I can think off. It killed me to return it, however at&t is terrible! I had it right next to my first Thunderbolt outside in the sunlight, and the Atrix was crystal clear, not a single spec of dust! As for the TB, dust was in there. Noticeable in both the top and bottom corners. My point is, it can happen with any phone! It shouldn't, but it does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones