DVD Catalyst 3 - Discussion on Settings, Results, Etc.General

Last Updated:

1. jikhead

jikhead Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After comparing HandBrake and Catalyst, I've opted to use Catalyst as it seems to have way more options and settings to play with than Handbrake. So I wanted to start a thread for all of us who are using the app, and discuss preferences, settings we've tried, etc.

So far I have attempted the following:
    1) I put Avatar in the DVD drive and left the global settings at default. I then selected the DI as the output type, resolution set at 800x480, bumped the quality to 1000 kbps, 1 pass, bumped my sound quality to 256 kbps. The end result of the video was excellent. It filled the entire screen of the DI without doing any cropping of the ends of the video, while still maintaining its widescreen width. When playing in my two video player apps, attempting to change the resolution does not do anything. However, for some reason it only recorded half the movie. I tried ripping an ISO of the DVD and it did the same; only working half way then gave an error. This may be related to the disc encryption. I'm trying to get this same output on my other movies but have not gotten the same result. Also, during the conversion process, the status shows the resolution, but I did not notice what it said when I did Avatar. You'll see why I mention this further down.

2) I converted Quantum of Solace off an ISO file with the same specs above. Got the full movie and plays fine on the DI. It plays on the phone with the black bars like a widescreen dvd, and you can switch in the video player to full screen where it removes the black bars and crops off the ends of the width of the video. I don't like standard 4:3 videos and would like to try and avoid this; and instead get the output I got from the Avatar above.

3) I converted The Incredibles off a DVD directly like I did with Avatar. Same settings as before. But during the conversion process in the queue, I noticed it stated the resolution was 800x352. Don't know why it says this when it was set to 800x480. Result was fine and plays fine on the phone. Output was just like QoS where it still has blackbars, and doesn't fill the entire screen like it did with Avatar.

4) I converted The Hangover off a dvd that was created from an ISO file. I used the same settings above, except I moved the resolution up to 800x600 to see if there was a difference. This is when I noticed in the conversion process queue, it showed that the resolution was 800x352 again. I think it did the same when I did QoS. Not sure why it's doing this. Results were the same as 2 & 3.

So it seems to be making the resolution on all the movies 800x352 which is why I'm still getting black bars. I will retry Avatar and see if it's actually outputting at 800x480 and whether that's why it's filling the entire DI screen or not. If it is, the next question would be why and how.

Advertisement
    MisterMixelpix likes this.
  2. jikhead

So I was able to answer one question to my problem, but not the other. I haven't actually watched the Avatar dvd because I have it on blu-ray as well. So I played it on my PC and on my PS3 and noticed that the actual dvd doesn't have black bars to accommedate standard def tv's like most other dvd's. Very odd, but I like that: I guess they decided "if you buy a widescreen dvd...we presume you have a widescreen TV and leave the aspect ratio as is." Makes sense.

So I'm running it again thru DVD Catalyst and in the queue it definitely says 800x480. So it leaves me to ponder: why is this movie outputting at 800x480 but all other dvd's and iso's are outputting at 800x320? What's the difference that is causing the program to switch it?

3. spyderman

spyderman Well-Known Member

DVD catalyst Rocks on my Moto Cliq...

4. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member

I don't know the exact specs, but I know for a fact that James Cameron shot the movie in an "odd" screen ratio format.

5. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

This thread is relevant to my interests...

6. barrister89

barrister89 Well-Known Member

Internet Movie DB says Avatar's aspect ratio is 2.35:1 for the theaterical release, 1.78:1 IMAX version. I don't own the DVD but I assume it's 2.35:1.

Most widescreen movies have an AR of either 1.85:1, which closely matches the screen dimensions of a 16x9 widescreen tv (1.78:1), or ~2.35:1, which results in top and bottom bars on a widescreen tv. There are others as well, including 1.66:1, 2.20:1, and 1.37:1, the old academy AR roughly equivalent to a 4x3 standard tv.

I haven't played around with video conversion software in a while, but the programs I've used suggest an output resolution to maintain the aspect ratio of the movie based on the rez of your display device. If Avatar is 2.35:1, a proper conversion should have top & botton bars. Usually the AR of the movie is stated somewhere on the DVD case. If you encode at an incompatible output resolution, you're going to have image distortion meaning the image will either be pinched or stretched. I think 800x480 is pretty close to 1.85:1. If you configure your converter to crop the bars from a 2.35:1 movie keep in mind that you are losing close to 25% of the image.

Been a long time since I've messed with vid. conversion so I'm a little fuzzy & may be wrong on some of the above, but plenty of info & guides on the web. Also, if you are unable to convert an ISO it may be sneaky copy protection -- there may be tools to correct this.

7. jikhead

The Avatar DVD box states 1.78:1. The bluray is the same.

I was able to find a different ISO creator that successfully did Avatar; so I was able to convert the entire movie.

About the AR of Avatar. Please see my 2nd post about the bars. They made the dvd without any bars at all; unlike most other dvd's. So watching it on my PS3 and PC fills the entire widescreen of my monitor and my flat screen TV as it should with the widescreen ratio; and no distortion what so ever. I guess it's just the way Cameron did the dvd.

I do notice that all of my movies so far have a slight half second or so delay in the audio. My quality setting in Catalyst has been 1000kbps. I'll play with some higher settings thru the week and see if I notice a difference, and the space difference it takes up as well. I also plan to test 800x600 with the black bar removal feature turned off to see what that does.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I found the problem to my other remaining question regarding the conversions were switching to 800x320 on its own, even though I had it set to 800x480. It has something to do with the black bar settings. When I switched it off, they remained at 800x480. The only affect was that you couldn't switch to FULL screen on the phone to make it zoom in and eliminate the black bars and crop the sides off...which is fine by me as I don't like that aspect ratio.

8. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

no they are 2.35:1 for the current release. The 1.78:1 edition was the Imax version and will probably be the 3d version when its released next year

800x450 is the 'idea' size for the movie

9. jikhead

No offense, but I believe you are wrong. I'm just stating EXACTLY what is written on my DVD holder. I will post up a pic when I get home this evening. Otherwise, then it's a typo on the dvd.

10. jikhead

And to prove my point, the top one is blu-ray, bottom dvd...not that it matters since they are the same.

Attached Files:

11. jikhead

Haven't spent much time with this in awhile, but I wanted to mentioned I rented Sherlock Holmes this weekend at Redbox. This dvd too also DID NOT have any black bars. I guess this is starting to become the standard practice with dvd's.

12. Mezmryz03

Mezmryz03 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was stated before, but for the DInc aspect ratio, you want the black bars for any movie shot in an aspect ratio greater than 1.78:1(which is 16x9) e.g. 2.35:1. This way you don't get the sides chopped of or the picture distorted. Of course, you may not care about this for a movie on your phone, in which case chop away.

13. jikhead

Just thought I would mention that there is a new version available. It has new features, cleaner interface, and more options to choose from. It also seems like it is easier to use for those that are "challenged".

DVD Catalyst 4 | Tools4Movies - Home of DVD Catalyst

14. jikhead

FYI, if anyone is attempting to convert the new Tron: Legacy dvd that came out yesterday...if you go to the global settings>Borders> select <No Cropping> first option...the conversion will maintain the portions of the movie that are in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio. So you'll get some footage video with black bars, and then all the good digital action scenes in full widescreen on your Incredible with no bars. I have not tested this on any other phones.