• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Is there a way to possibly hook my A500 up to my DVR mounted as an external HD and record shows to it so that I can watch them later? I know my DVR has a USB port to hook up an external HD.

I guess my question boils down to, A) can I mount my A500 as an external HD to my DVR
B) What is the most robust multimedia player that might be able to decode the DVR files?

I have a motorola DVR from COX

Is there a way to possibly hook my A500 up to my DVR mounted as an external HD and record shows to it so that I can watch them later? I know my DVR has a USB port to hook up an external HD.

I guess my question boils down to, A) can I mount my A500 as an external HD to my DVR
B) What is the most robust multimedia player that might be able to decode the DVR files?

I have a motorola DVR from COX

It is probably Possible....But the files would be HUGE .... there are websites.....that have HD versions of shows available almost as soon as they are aired....with Smaller file sizes....

Upvote 0
I am aware of those websites, but wanted to see if their were alternative methods. Basically I want some of the functionality of the older Archos portable DVRs

Just came across this post and was curious if you ever figured out a way to use your tablet as (somewhat) of a DVR. I too am an Archos portable PVR user (Archos 5--the non-android one) and my 5's HD JUST crapped out. This is my 2nd one BTW--and I was using it as a viewer for my DIrecTV recordings that I transferred onto it with the DVR station. I'd LOVE to utilize my Acer Iconia to watch transferred shows from my Directv HD-DVR's.

I know DirecTV has a recording station that allows you to transfer recordings from your DVR to your Ipad/Ipod touch/IPhone--but wasn't sure if they ever utilized the technology to record onto an Android based tablet/phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones