DX as emergency radio

1. simollie

simollie Well-Known Member

I'm putting together an emergency kit at home and one thing I'm missing is an emergency radio. I'm wondering, since the DX has an FM radio app, can that be used as an emergency radio? It certainly has its advantage with the bells and whistles in it (compass, map).

The key question is, the FM app is not an internet radio, but a real radio based on an FM receiver hardware, is that correct?

Advertisement
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Play Nice~ Moderator

yes it is, I am not sure is the software is in place or not on that phone. My son has an X2 and the FM app software came with it. Keep in mind that you have to have earphones plugged in for the app to open as this is what the tuner uses for an antennae. And reception isn't as good as a radio, so you may want to test it before you NEED it.

If it were me putting together an emergency kit, I think I would think of the DX as a fallback to a radio in your already kit that may have both AM / FM (and possibly digital radio) for a couple of reasons.

You're probably not going to leave your phone in the emergency kit, so if you get separated from your phone in an emergency, but make it to your kit, you might wouldn't have a radio. Also, it is much easier to predict / control battery life with a portable radio than it is with a cell phone.

Hope this helps.:)
    simollie likes this.
  3. simollie

simollie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. You are right. Although I keep my phone with me almost all the time, it just doesn't play very well with the whole idea of a grab-n-go emergency kit. Shouldn't have to think about whether I have everything needed with me when a true emergency hits.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Play Nice~ Moderator

You may want to throw a cheap headset in there, like I said, you need that as an antennae for the DX radio, so it could still be a backup to your radio and would add virtually no weight.
  5. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member

+1 You HAVE to use headphones or speakers with the FM app. You cannot use the build in speaker. The FM app came with my original Droid X.

A small transistor radio or MP3 player sized FM receiver would be better since you don't have to wait for them to boot up, etc. Also, odds are if you are in an emergency situation, your WiFi wouldn't be available for using map, weather and other apps.
  6. _Aardvark

_Aardvark Well-Known Member

7. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

fwiw...i don't think the fm radio app that comes on the DX will work unless it has an active cell signal. In other words try it first. I tried it one time with it in airplane mode thinking i would save some battery....no go.

*edit

i know that sounds stupid since the earphones work as an antenna but its true. Also here is what i did. I took some old ear buds. I cut the cable off right at the plug. Then plugged it into the jack and bam i had radio without a 4 ft cord hanging around.
  8. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

FYI, I wouldn't rely on the "map" either since it needs wifi/3G.
  9. 1primetime

1primetime New Member

Actually im thinking the map ap "CoPilot Live Standard USA" would work fine without towers or service.....course it is 5 bucks:)