Last Updated: Sep 21,2010
Worth waiting to see, or should I just root it while I know I still can?
Root and Leak if not out by then. Just flash to SBF and do the official / wait for a modded version to come. I'm sure Koush / Rom manager will find a way.
I would play around with the stock phone on 2.1 for a week or so. Then if the OTA 2.2 update doesn't hit by then, get yo leak + root on.
...unless of course you're already experienced with android phones. If you are, then go straight to the leaked 2.2 or flyx, etc.
I would wait. It doesn't seem like Froyo adds that much to be worth the risk and bugs. It's not a good idea to void your warranty so soon; maybe something else unrelated can go wrong and you'd be SOL on getting a replacement. Ultimately, it's only a phone and I rather be using a stable, supported build to make/receive calls then live on the edge and end up with a paper weight.
If I were you, I would decide what kind of permanent path you want to take with your phone. If you always want to be able to upgrade with official OTA updates, then I would just wait. If you always want to be rooted and have the ability to install custom ROMs, then there's no reason to wait and you might as well just root, update, and be done with it!
I would tend to think that most of us who want to keep root are not interested in getting the OTA update anyway as it will most likely unroot the phone. We will wait for a rooted version and install it manually using Rom Manager. Once you install Clockwork and Rom Manager, you really won't be interested in OTA updates anymore. We might have to wait a bit to get the official version in a update.zip with root, but it probably won't take too long!
The good news is that there's always a way back using the sbf, so if you did change your mind you can still do that and get the OTA. But once you get root, you most likely won't want to lose it so it makes more sense to block the OTA anyway and install updates manually.
PS - FlyX is a pretty stable and optimized build of the leaked Froyo, so rooting and installing that is probably your best option until a manual update is available for the official Froyo.
Don't you think you have enough to do with setting up email, wallpaper and installing apps before you go looking for trouble?
I'd install UniversalAndRoot so you're rooted and might actually stay rooted when froyo comes out, probably in the next couple weeks.
Might as well install appbrain and Fast Web Installer from the Market and login on Appbrain's website so you can manage changes or move to a new phone if your's goes kerplunk or you decide you want a different phone.
Then install a good backup program like MyBackup Pro in case you hose it (which sounds like it could happen soon).
Nice post bro.
Separate names with a comma.