• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

dxTop : Home Alternative: Worth every penny and then some...

S

seedubs13

dxTop: Your Home (app) away from Home

Why would you need a Home replacement app? Maybe you need more screen real estate. Maybe you?re looking for a bit more functionality. Maybe you just like tweaking things. Maybe you?re tired of maybes and want this review to get moving. There are about a dozen options when it comes to home replacement. Which one is right for you depends on a bunch of factors ? desired functions, cost, skins, and reliability to name a few.

dxTop offers a number of additions to the stock home screen. First, you have the option of 4 home screens arranged in a diamond or adding a 5th screen in the middle of the diamond. The beauty of this design is that it allows all screens to be just one swipe away. Some people may have a bit of difficulty with the arrangement initially. No matter what screen you?re on, a swipe from top to bottom will bring you to the top screen. The process is similar for each of the screens. Typing this up is like putting words to Mr. Myagi?s training philosophy ? you?d probably be better just doing it and asking questions later.

Another important feature is the 5-app dock. I?m not an iPhone fanboy, but having access to your main apps from any screen is just smart. Also, dxTop adds app categories, which you can create on your own. If your app tray is looking more crowded than the sidelines of a middle school dance then categorization will help. Even better, you can use these app categories to have category folders on any home screen. Additionally, a second tray shows you which apps are currently sucking your memory and lets you close them.

dxTop has a number of other features ? lots of skins to choose from, a custom lock screen, screen transitions (think ubuntu cube), and support for live wallpaper. On top of all that, there are several custom widgets available. The music, search and weather widgets are pretty standard, but you might like them a bit better. The real feature is the memory monitor widget that graphs your available memory in real time.

For $2.99, dxTop was a great investment, but choosing a home replacement app is a lot like picking out a shirt. Maybe I?m a softball t-shirt person and maybe you?re still popping your collar, but you gotta do what works for you (even if everyone?s laughing at you from across the room). Look for the features you need, then the ones you want, and try out a few before throwing down the cash.

Here?s the rundown:

+4 (or 5) screen diamond layout with 1-swipe access to all screens
+Dock
+2nd Tray and widget for memory management
+Customizable app categories and category folders
-$2.99 (but well worth the cost
Reviewed on Droid running Android 2.1

My experience is a little different...
User interface is interesting but can be laggy. One of my widgets takes a long time to load but that could be any number of reasons. Hard to see but the left side of the screen says 'widget loading'.
2012-05-02_06-43-42-1.jpg

Ability to set up your homescreens into almost as many columns and rows is really nice.
2012-05-02_12-11-31-1.jpg

That's very nice...
You cannot change the default screen layout, however. No ability to resize widgets is a big negative for me. The dock can not be changed with regards to how many apps are located there. I would also like to point out that you can't hide app labels unless it is a built-in feature of the app or widget. All in all I don't think it is nearly as developed or customizable as either LPP or Go Launcher and leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones