E-mail App Issues-Connecting to College E-mail ServerSupport

1. jp12

jp12 New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm having issues connecting to my university's e-mail server via the default e-mail app on my Galaxy Nexus. It's essentially a Gmail account, except that it's not using the @gmail.com suffix. I've tried connecting via POP, IMAP, and Exchange to no success. I am receiving an error message that reads something along the lines of "Error: details could not be obtained from the server."

Is there any way that I could connect to my university e-mail account via my application without having to forward my mail to a second e-mail address? I'd greatly appreciate any clarification.

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

How do you normally access the email (other than on a phone)?

Browser? Special email application?

I'd suggest accessing it by whatever other means you have at your disposal, go into server settings and look around for "port numbers". Make sure your phone is accessing the server using the same port numbers.

These are typical...

POP3 - port 110
    IMAP - port 143
    SMTP - port 25
    Secure SMTP (SSMTP) - port 465
    Secure IMAP (IMAP4-SSL) - port 585
    IMAP4 over SSL (IMAPS) - port 99
    Secure POP3 (SSL-POP) - port 995
    tube517 likes this.
  3. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

Your college should have provided some instructions. Do they use Blackboard? My community college had instructions provided when I opened my student email account.
  4. jp12

jp12 New Member

Normally, I would use my laptop/desktop machine. However, since I'm now in a situation where I need to check my e-mail more frequently, I wanted to use the default e-mail app on my phone. If I wanted to check my e-mail via my phone, I would have to use a browser. Basically, I would prefer to use an app.

I've also been using the default ports on POP3, IMAP, etc. when I've attempted to make a connection to the server without much luck. Do you think there would be any specific details I might need to include because it is on a university network?
  5. jp12

jp12 New Member

We do use Blackboard, but they don't have instructions for how to connect to their mail servers via smartphone. Apparently, my friends have had no issues connecting to the server. They're using iPhones and various Android phones.
  6. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

But what application do you use when you're using your laptop/desktop?

If you're logging in with your browser you may have to do the same with your phone, unless you can figure out what ports to use for the email app on your phone. But if it's with a dedicated application like Thunderbird or Pegasus or Windows Live Mail or Outlook/Express, you should be able to look up the ports for accessing the server in the programs settings.