• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

E-mail help

FBaker

Lurker
Nov 18, 2011
Hello!

I'm a new Android user and am having a problem with e-mail which I hope someone here can help with. I've set up my daughter's Sky e-mail account on the tablet without any problems and have sent a test e-mail from the tablet which duly landed in our Outlook Express Inbox. However, having then sent a test e-mail from our home computer to the device, whilst this appeared in Outlook Express on the PC, it didn't land in the tablet's Inbox. A second message did make it to the Inbox on the tablet but not into Outlook Express. I've made sure that the settings on both devices are set not to delete mail from the server after it's been downloaded so I don't think this is the problem. Can anyone tell me how I can ensure mail gets into both Inboxes please?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Faye

This is generally what happens with different email technologies -- specifically IMAP and POP3

Do you know if your account is configured as IMAP or POP3 on each device? You'll have to look in the settings for both, and see.

Personally, I use POP3 at home with Thunderbird. Then I set it to delete messages older than 30 days. POP3 will download all messages -- and this way I have a permanent archive on the home computer.

Then on my Android devices I use IMAP. This is because IMAP doesnt "download" emails in the same way. It basically just shows you what is on the server. So when I'm on the go I have access to emails from the past month, but I dont overload my email app on the device.

(I'm oversimplifying here, but you get the idea)

Upvote 0
You can always set your POP client to 1) only check for new messages and 2) leave them on the server.

IMAP works great, until you get a user like me who has (no kidding) well over 5 GB in his main GMail account. I use IMAP, yep, I do, but when I go to set up on my phone it takes a very long time or so to get all of my mail sync'd the first time - even over WiFi.

With POP3 set correctly, it would poll the mail server only for new messages, instead of trying to sync the entire (or, in the case of our Android phones, 4 days) mailbox. If you have everything filtered like I do using server side filters, great.

If not, and you have thousands of email in your inbox, well....

Have fun with that sync.

Upvote 0
You can always set your POP client to 1) only check for new messages and 2) leave them on the server.

IMAP works great, until you get a user like me who has (no kidding) well over 5 GB in his main GMail account. I use IMAP, yep, I do, but when I go to set up on my phone it takes a very long time or so to get all of my mail sync'd the first time - even over WiFi.

With POP3 set correctly, it would poll the mail server only for new messages, instead of trying to sync the entire (or, in the case of our Android phones, 4 days) mailbox. If you have everything filtered like I do using server side filters, great.

If not, and you have thousands of email in your inbox, well....

Have fun with that sync.

You could pay $5 a year and get 20 gigs of extra storage, but that is an insane number of emails!!! Is it mostly from attachments?

Upvote 0
Yes, mostly from attachments. And that is only one of 6 accounts - 2 are regular Google accounts and 4 are domain-related Google Apps accounts.

That account holds a lot of info and is my first Google account, too.

Currently, I don't need the extra storage space - I clean out folders every 6 months or so....

I currently have multiple gmail accounts, one for my business (google apps), one for my personal (google apps), one for the connector gmail account and then a secondary gmail account for every day use. My one complaint about this secondary gmail account is the thing sends saying on behalf of and shows my main connector account.

I am thinking of just biting the bullet and buying another google apps domain and using that, thus replacing any and all issues of this behalf crap.

Upvote 0
FBaker are you using the same email address on both the PC and the Tablet or are they separate email addresses? If they are 2 different addresses are you getting any errors on the PC when you send an email to the tablet, possibly looks like a new email in the PC's inbox shortly after sending the email? If so what does the error say?

Upvote 0
From the way the OP is written, here seems to be the problem.

Tablet = Sky mail
Outlook Express (home PC) = another account.

Mail sent from tablet appears in home PC.

mail sent from Home PC either
1) appears in Tablet inbox, or
2) appears in OE sent mail or outbox.

Which leads me to my next question - FBaker - where in OE is the mail appearing when it is not appearing in the tablet? Sent mail or outbox? That is going to be a key factor....

Upvote 0
I hear you John. I spent the better part of 3+ years troubleshooting email issues for a living. I was tech support agent for a national ISP in the early 2000's. I don't use traditional mail clients much anymore I just have my phone using what ever it's been setup with to interact with GMail

The only problem is some apps are very good at hunting down the specific settings like thunderbird does while other apps are more like outlook where you have to manually enter incoming and outgoing for everything. I still scratch my head how outlook, which i prefer to thunderbird makes it so difficult to just set up a simple lets say gmail account. Of course its not hard, but most people have never had to do this and from where I sit having to support my clients on stuff like this is frustrating just due to the fact that it doesnt have to be that difficult to begin with.

Upvote 0
Rich some can be. When I was doing support initially there was no Thunderbird, we we setting Eudora and Outlook Express. When I did corporate help desk and supported the rest of the company I became a lot more familiar with Outlook than anything. Since I've moved on from the help desk arena to other areas of IT I've been in a few places that you email account auto configures itself in outlook the moment you sign in to the workstation. That was pretty nice. The technology is changing every year. I'm curious to see how all the apps I'm used to now will work 5 years form now.

Upvote 0
The only problem is some apps are very good at hunting down the specific settings like thunderbird does while other apps are more like outlook where you have to manually enter incoming and outgoing for everything. I still scratch my head how outlook, which i prefer to thunderbird makes it so difficult to just set up a simple lets say gmail account. Of course its not hard, but most people have never had to do this and from where I sit having to support my clients on stuff like this is frustrating just due to the fact that it doesnt have to be that difficult to begin with.

FWIW - Thunderbird only recently added that to their repertoire - before version 3.2 Alpha 1 (which ended up being named Tb 5 I think) you had to manually punch in the settings.

Fortunately, most ISPs and webmail providers have the information accessible from a help page. In GMail, all you have to do is:

settings --> Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab --> Configuration instructions (at the bottom)

With my ISP, I just go to their main web page, then go to their help section, look under email help, and presto! Instructions for setting up mail and news servers.

I've found that every email service that provides external connections via either / both POP3 / IMAP that I have used thus far in my lifetime has provided the instructions that are (relatively) easily found. These days it's almost child's play because of Google.

As for it being difficult, it's not - until you start dealing with proprietary mail systems. Companies that host their own mail (which, unless you're a large company, there really is no need these days - Google Apps accounts rock in this respect) should have bright enough IT people so that they can easily have their mail clients set up simply by running a script - but if they are small companies, it's understandable if they outsource IT work to 3rd parties like yourself, then that is where you come in with things like an app that you keep such information stored in.

I use KeePass - not just for my passwords, but my clients' password,s software keys, etc., even down to server names, port numbers, etc. And since there is an Android version too, I can easily pull my phone out while on the train or having lunch, look up a password, and forward it to a client. With my Remote Desktop / SSH / VNC apps I can get into a machine if need be to fix it myself. If I'm in an area where I don't have access to (secure) WiFi I get to one as quickly as possible.

Setting up any mail client is not hard at all - even Outlook 2010. When I was working with the University IT dept I was having to set up / re-set up email configurations on a weekly basis - it becomes second nature after a while.

Rich some can be. When I was doing support initially there was no Thunderbird, we we setting Eudora and Outlook Express. When I did corporate help desk and supported the rest of the company I became a lot more familiar with Outlook than anything. Since I've moved on from the help desk arena to other areas of IT I've been in a few places that you email account auto configures itself in outlook the moment you sign in to the workstation. That was pretty nice. The technology is changing every year. I'm curious to see how all the apps I'm used to now will work 5 years form now.

Gods, Eudora. I started with v1.0 student edition, it actually fit on a 1.44 MB Floppy lol. Did you know that Qualcomm made the source openly available, and that there is still the Penelope project that takes the Eudora source and ports it over as an overlay on top of Thunderbird? Last I played with was Eudora 8.0.0.9 Beta but it looked identical to Eudora 7 Pro - and was built on FOSS to boot.

Yeah, the whole log in and scripting thing is pretty awesome - any company / entity / institution that is using AD services for their network should have that in place, the scripts are not all that complicated, and once you have the schema right it's full automated. Not intervention from the IT grunts anymore.

It doesn't even take that long to work out, simple testing of it is more than easy enough - grab a box, attach it o the domain, and have a few of your grunts log onto it for the first time and make sure theirs gets set up correctly. Then, perform rollouts by department.

Then again, I've worked with temp agencies and one company had me employed for well over a year performing hardware and software upgrade rollouts to all the BellSouth offices in Atlanta, so...I suppose it is easier for me to talk about it because I have experience with it....

Oh well. As for apps evolving, Thunderbird has come a huge way since its inception. Give it a try if you have not recently - try to add one of your Google accounts - and watch what it does.

Upvote 0
John, never meant to imply its difficult, just that some apps and some clients make it more difficult than it needs to be. I just started using thunderbird so ill take your word on that, but I do maintain about a hundred different email accounts for multiple clients and its just annoying when one gets a new computer or what have you to take the time to manual setup outlook everytime and if you know my clients then you would understand that I have to do it for them everytime.

My only point was some email apps on phones do auto set everything, others dont. So whenever I hear someone has an issue with setting up emails I assume they didnt do the advanced settings but you definitively added far more info than I was ever willing to go into so thanks!

Upvote 0
Oh, no, trust me, I completely understand having to hold hands when dealing with clients - but that's why I do things like this. The faster I have access to the information, the faster I can be done with them and get out of their hair (or, more appropriately, get them out of mine).

And you're right about advanced setting sand whatnot - unless you really know what you're doing / are a studious young grasshopper / have a really well written guide with pictures that any 4 year old can follow (this was my specialty - if you could not follow my directions, which included pointers and notes about possible errors / erroneous assumptions that the average user would be prone to make), just let me do it - that's my motto lol.

Upvote 0
I made a full out pdf with one clients exact information on it to the t. detailed steps with screenshots and little arrows pointing to each tab they would need to press. Yup ended up having to go over there to do it. I really really didnt get that one. open pdf, print pdf if wanted, follow steps exactly....nope too hard!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones