E-mail notifications in the middle of the night.

Last Updated:

1. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What's your work around for e-mail notifications in the middle of the night. I really don't want to change setting every night just to set them back each morning. (the phone sits in the docking station on the nightstand)
    I guess I could just silent phone with the volume shortcut on the side of the phone, however if I receive a call or txt in the middle of the night 99% of the time it is truly important.
    As stupid as it is, I have the crank yankers "I got mail" notification for my e-mail accounts for work and home. My wife says that if it goes off one more time in the night (latley about 3-4 times a night, & at all hours) she is going to smash my phone. Half the time it doesn't wake me up, and if it does, I can fall back asleep no problem. But for the sake of keeping wifey happy, I have to come up with a solution.
    So what say you, anyone dealt with something like this? & how do you deal with it?

Regards
    HOTHEAD

Advertisement
  2. videomagician

videomagician New Member

I use Bedside for that.

3. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Toggle Settings is a program that you can use to schedule the phone to be silent for a certain time period. You can make rules so it is different on weekdays and weekends or different every day of the week if you want.

4. tfs1975

tfs1975 New Member

It seems like my email doesnt get notifications when the WIFI is turned on. So when I go to sleep, I just make sure the WIFI is on. Its not perfect but it works.

5. limat

limat New Member

I use "Locale". From 10 pm to 6 am ,i configured it to go to silent mode, for better control over volume , use it with "All Volumes" plugin.

6. slburse

slburse New Member

timeriffic. works awesome!

7. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

Quick Profiles. Doesn't eat resources by using GPS and is simple. You set the preferences for every notification and volume and it simply switches setting for you when you want them.

I asked the developer if we could get an option to disable the green LED indicator when a notification comes in and he said it's not possible on the Droid...

8. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

The qualifier would be without root access.

However, as 'LEDs Hack' demonstrates, it is easily accomplished with su permissions.

9. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

i just use the silent shortcut on the unlock screen. i tried locale but i found it to be kinda buggy and not very accurate. half the time the profile doesn't change. i dunno why. maybe they fixed it and made it better now, haven't used it in a while.

10. cranky_dan

cranky_dan Well-Known Member

Sound Manager, available for free on the market.

You can set up schedules to turn on and off all sounds, many times a week, for example: Monday - Friday system sounds come on at a level I program at 7:30am. Saturday, system sounds stay off until 1:30pm. Sunday, they stay off until 10 am. Seven days a week, system sounds shut off at 11pm.

I had the same problem as you...an email notification would wake my wife at 4:15am.

But not any more... Sound Manager works like a champ. It's a bit awkward to figure out and set up. But it works great.

Dan

Oh, and rooting not needed.

11. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you much,
    I will start toying with the options suggested today. I'll post up later to chime in with which one I had the best luck with for future searches.

As always, Thank You
    Regards
    HOTHEAD

12. Freebyrd

Freebyrd Active Member

Bedside works great

13. crosschecking

crosschecking Well-Known Member

In addition to those mentioned above, I just have mine off with Airplane Autoswitcher so it's not even checking for emails during sleep time, saving battery too.

14. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Hey Hothead,

There is an app on the market called Profile Settings. It will allow you to build sound/vibrate profiles and then build rules that govern when to activate them. It does time rules, calendar rules, location rules, ... I have been using it for about a week and it hasn't missed yet. At night, I have it silence everything except the ringer (I'm on call 24/7 so I always have to have my phone.) It has worked perfectly thus far. I also attend many meetings at work and it silences my phone every time. I am very happy thus far. There are two versions, the freebie only allows one profile, but the 2.95 version allows all the rules and profiles that you want.

IMHO,
    BigRedGonzo

15. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I'm also using Toggle Settings, but for ad-hoc use (meetings and such) nothing beats Off the Hook -- just put down your phone face-down, and it'll shut up. :D