e-mailSupport

Last Updated:

1. mishee17

mishee17 Member This Topic's Starter

I was ready to buy the Eris but after reading through some forums I'm concerned about email. I need to be able to retrieve non-Gmail, emails and I'm trying to find out how that works on this phone. I have comcast email and yahoo and I know that Gmail gets pushed but what about the other accounts?
    Is it easy to access them or do you need to keep logging into those sites to get it?

Advertisement
  2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

There are lots of different possibilities.

1) The handset itself can poll for POP3 e-mail to external e-mail providers. (I've read on this forum claiming that Yahoo somehow blocks this, but don't know if it is true or not)
    2) Some e-mail services allow you to forward e-mail (for instance to your Gmail account).
    3) Gmail itself can be set up to fetch mail from other accounts

in both of the cases (2) and (3) above, you can use Gmail's filter/labeling system if you want to label & view email within Gmail (on the handset or otherwise) as if they were in separate accounts. (You'll have to do some experimenting to see which "From:" address handset Gmail app uses when responding to e-mail that arrives from different accounts - the online version can be set up to reply with a "From" address based on which address mail was sent to.)

HTH

eu1

PS - I suspect that Gmail is not "pushed" from Google to the handset - but without sniffing the IP network, it is hard to be sure.

3. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

I cant comment on Yahoo ... but I have 2 comcast email addresses and have had no problems. If you need any help with the comcast emails send me a message.

4. mishee17

mishee17 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks. I'll probably be getting my phone this week. Can you tell me how the e-mails come in? Do you have to log into your comcast acct all the time? Do you have any problems replying to those emails?

5. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

It is easy to set up and you stay logged in

6. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

I am simultaneously logged in and receiving G-mail and Yahoo! mail on my Eris. The only thing I don't like about the mail feature is that I can only view new mail vs mail that I had in my inboxes before I bought the Eris.

7. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

If you mark that email unread will you get it?

8. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

Nope. I have unread e-mails in both accounts from ages ago (mostly spam), but none of them show up. Maybe I should be grateful. :cool:

9. valleygreen

valleygreen Member

I have an Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V. MY Yahoo account works fine. My Comcast account works fine receiving but not sending. I have tried different oorts, 265, 587, 10 and different security settings none, ssl,

I always get the checking server message followed by sending messages and then connection error. Is this a problem as I use the 3G mostly with WiFi when available. I even have trouble connecting to my Comcast WiFi at home. At a mojor hospital I ahve no problem connecting to their WiFi.