E-mails go to wrong inbox (sometimes)Support

Last Updated:

1. tangfj

tangfj Member This Topic's Starter

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem...

I have several e-mail addresses configured on my EVO and every once in a while, one of my e-mails will show up in the wrong inbox as an unread message. When I try clicking on the e-mail it tries to open it and immediately goes back to the inbox (still leaving the e-mail unread). When I long press on the e-mail and try to delete, I get an error and the mail app force closes itself.

The only way I've been able to fix this is removing the e-mail account affected and re-add it. This is not ideal as it's a pain to have to do this all the time. Right now two of my inboxes have this problem. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any other workaround than what I have been doing?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

wow that is crazy. I use gmail and have all of my email addy's fetched by gmail...they are all in the one gmail addy's inbox

:( sorry I hope you find a fix!

3. corosario

corosario New Member

I have the same problem. One of the emails from my gmail account showed up on the yahoo inbox. Now I can't open or delete that message. Annoying!

4. QTpants

QTpants New Member

I have the same issue. I have 2 yahoo accounts one @yahoo.com and one @sbcglobal.net. I have had my EVO for about 4 months, and about 2 months into having the phone it started putting my emails in the wrong account and then when i would go to try to open them and delete them it would give me a force close message and close out of my e-mail. Sprint of course was useless with the problem, so don't even bother there - so i just deleted both emails and then put them both back on and it seemed to fix the problem. Then this morning i woke up and went to check my email and same problem i have about 17 emails in the wrong e-mail account and it forces close when i try to get rid of them or open them. This is annoying and i will not delete and reload my accounts! Can someone please help fix the problem or give some good e-mail apps that won't have these issues. Thanks!!!

5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

QTpants did you have issues with Sprint in person or in store?

when all else fails I would go in to a Corporate Sprint Repair center and show them the issue. Don't leave without resolution.

6. AliasMangler

AliasMangler Member

Anyone find a permanent solution for this problem?

I started having this issue today and haven't had any luck fixing it, my gmail account inbox shows mail from a att account, but they can't be opened/moved/removed.

Thnx,
    AliasMangler

7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

OK - I have no solution - but - I do have an opinion (per usual :p) if somebuddy wants to be a guinea pig on this for the others:

Menu-> Settings-> Applications-> Manage applications-> All (tab) goto Mail (HTC Corporation (I presume we're talking the stock app here - but - you can also do this for the GMail app)) - then - Clear data and Clear cache.

I'll warn outright - this will delete ALL of your email accounts. You'll end up re-adding ALL your accounts if you try this stunt.

So - why would I even suggest something so draconian?

1. We know that most all desktop clients maintain various indices for mailbox management. The better ones actually allow users to re-build them (usually the feature says it "rebuilds the mailbox" but it's really just the index files).
    2. Our client - sadly - lacks this feature.
    3. I would suspect that it's an indexing problem - especially when you have multiple accounts and remove/re-add account doesn't fix it. As users - we have zero clue how the devs for our Mail implemented index files, but since this is an integrated app, the finger points to more than one index being messed up (in my mind). So - you delete/re-add the account where the SYMPTOM is appearing, but the problem stays underlying.

Since I have zero clue where the indices would live under the hood - this is the best I can suggest.

There is a hidden .Mail subdir at the SDCARD root - but everything in that might be useful appears binary or binary/compressed at my first glance (in other words - it's a modern client, no text index files where we could pull some old-fashioned Mozilla/Thunderbird fix-by-hand tricks).

~~~~

So - maybe not helpful - but - if someone has time and patience - preferably one of you with root that could do a nandroid backup first - you might guinea pig this idea.

I'm actually wishing I had the problem so I could try this fix - this one is REALLY intriguing.

And - because I'm a broken record - I want to suggest also looking at that old standby:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

And I strongly recommend that for three good reasons:
    1. If nothing else - it walks you through a backup. Who can say if this sort of problem is the tip of the iceberg and you'll be wishing that you had your Evo backed up before something even stranger happens?
    2. If you take your phone to a Sprint store, they might jump to a factory reset - and you'd wish you had a good backup.
    3. No apologies for the broken record part - but we've all seen the backup/factory-reset/restore sequence in that thread fix all sorts of weird things - so once you have a backup, you can decide to try the reset or not - either way, you'll have a more peace of mind knowing you can if you want to.

While you guys ponder all this - I'm going to see if somebuddy cool hasn't built a Mail index rebuilder already and we just haven't heard of it - yet.

AliasMangler likes this.
  8. AliasMangler

AliasMangler Member

I may be game for trying this to see what happens, but not right at this moment.

I cleared data for the gmail app yesterday but since that's not the mail app I'm having the issue with, DUH on my part:), it of course had no impact.

Early, I'm assuming that it's the clear data part that wipes everything right? Does clearing cache have any effect on the email accounts setup? Wondering if cache is outta hand and clearing it without clearing data would have any benefit. It's the chicken in me that asks!!!!! :D

If it matters Data shows as 7.02MB and Cache shows as 5.63MB.

Alias.

9. EarlyMon

Yeah - that's exactly what I don't know - which part is allocated to data, which to cache.

If I get time this weekend, I'll guinea pig that part for ya - I'll just randomly remove cache first, then data, and see what happens between each step.

My email's all backed up (plus I can throw a nandroid backup), so that part's low risk for me - it's just the time crunch for me, so fingers crossed unless somebuddy knows already and can say.

10. AliasMangler

AliasMangler Member

Early, not sure if you got to play with this any over the weekend and I didn't get a chance to do anything then myself either and just saw you had added to the thread today.

I did have a few minutes just now and went ahead and cleared the cache only for HTC mail, for reference my data was still at 7.02M but cache had increased to 6.20M since I posted Thursday. Here's what happened when I did this and some background.

I've got 5 accounts set up and they're all set up as IMAP. They are Gmail, 3 bellsouth.net addys, and 1 addy from my personal website. The Gmail account was showing it's mail plus emails from my personal site account but no "bleed through" from any of the bellsouth accounts. The bellsouth accounts showed bleed through from my site email but nothing from Gmail or bellsouth. The personal email showed only it's email and no bleed through from any other accounts.

So after clearing cache I checked the Gmail email and there was no change. For kicks I went back through the account settings again and just confirmed everything and after it completed there was no change. I checked the "send and receive" settings and found that that the download option had reverted back days instead of number of emails which I had originally set it up as. I changed it back to Days and after backing out Gmail only showed it's mail with no bleed through. I then went and checked the remaining 4 accounts and they too had reverted back to days instead of number of emails. I changed the bellsouth accounts all back to days as well. I found that this corrected the bleed through problem on 2 of the 3 bellsouth accounts, the last one still had bleed through emails from my personal site account, but not the bellsouth accounts. I went back through the settings for the account still having bleed through and confirmed (made no changes) and also switched the email download back to days, saved, refreshed (no change), and switched back to number of emails, refreshed (still no change).

So clearing Data cache seems to have only affected some of the preferences/settings for mail retrieval but not really much else. It did however "fix" the bleed through on 3 of the 4 accounts that were experiencing it. I'll also add that the account that still has the bleed through and the one that seemed to be doing the bleeding isn't the one set as my default email account.

I'm not sure how much or how little any of this information helps but it's what sort of fixed my email bleed through issue without having to restore any of my email accounts. I'm thinking about maybe deleting the personal site account that's doing the bleeding and adding it back to see what difference that makes but I'm not going to try that just yet.

HTH,
    Alias.

EarlyMon likes this.
  11. AliasMangler

AliasMangler Member

So this success was short lived after clearing the cache, it only lasted about a day and a half. :mad:

Now only my Gmail and primary bellsouth account don't have bleed through again. To add another twist my mail widget now show the total email count for all accounts instead of the one that was active when I exited like it used to do. I also found that if I long hold an email that's really not in the inbox and select delete it will cause a force close for the email app, not sure if it would do that before since I didn't try it.

Early, did you get a chance to experiment any further with yours?

I guess I'll bite the bullet and either delete the account that the bleed through seems to be coming from or just go hardcore and clear data and cache and rebuild them all. :eek:

Anyone else found a way to fix this without redoing them all?

Alias.

12. EarlyMon

I apologize that I did not - work reared its ugly head and has consumed my weekends. :(

I'll keep you posted, please continue to do likewise.

AliasMangler likes this.
  13. AliasMangler

AliasMangler Member

Early, not sure if you've had time to play with this anymore, but if you're like me there hasn't been any time. :)

I finally got tired of the email bleed through still happening since just clearing mail cache didn't help long term and took the time this morning, about 15-20 min, to confirm I had all my email settings together and give your suggested fix/patch a try and here is what I found.

1) Mail data size was 7.34M and cache was 6.07M before I started.
    2) Went to Menu-> Settings-> Applications-> Manage applications-> All (tab)-> Mail HTC Corporation and cleared data. NOTE: This warns that all data, settings....etc will be deleted and yes it actually does wipe everything!!!:eek:
    3) Clearing Data also cleared Cache so there was no need to perform that step.
    4) Set up all 5 email accounts again manually using the same preferences/settings as I had used previously and confirmed after adding each account that it was only showing mail from it's own inbox.
    5) Refreshed and verified that new mail was being fetched from the respective servers and that there was no email bleed through from any of the accounts.
    6) Mail widget still shows the unread mail count for all accounts instead of just for the default account. I still think that before the issue it was showing the unread count for which ever account I was last accessing when I exited the app but maybe I'm wrong about that since after starting from scratch it isn't doing that. :D Anyone care to check theirs and see how it's showing it? Maybe there's a setting/pref for that somewhere that I've managed to hose up along the way while trying to resolve this issue.
    7) Mail data size is now 3.52M and cache is currently 0M.

I'll leave it alone and see when/if the bleed through starts up again.

HTH,
    AliasMangler.

EarlyMon likes this.