E:signature verification failed

1. JaeViBE

JaeViBE New Member

OK Guys,

I have a issue that I just cant crack.

I'm running 2.2.1, with open recovery 3.3 and I'm trying to install a custom ROM?
    I've tried placing the rom (cm-6) in the update.zip folder in the SD and also in the open recovery / updates folder, but when I go in to recovery mode to apply SDcard: update.zip
    I get the following message

E:failed to read footer from / sdcard/update.zip (Is a directory)
    Installation aborted

Any Ideas?

Advertisement
  2. monsterduc1000

monsterduc1000 Well-Known Member

Is your phone soft rooted (androot, easyroot, superoneclick)? I found with any of these I got the same error message and had to do the full root process via the guide on this forum. Then everything worked fine.
  3. JaeViBE

JaeViBE New Member

Umm Im not too sure man, the root I used was Universal Androot, so maybe.
    Ill re-root it and cross my figners.
  4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Not familiar with that version of recovery but sounds like you need to turn off signature verification in recovery.
  5. Alta1r

Alta1r Well-Known Member

Try using the original 'update.zip' file (in the root of your SD card, download it again if you have to) and only put the CM6 file in /sdcard/openrecovery/updates

Also make sure you download the correct version of CM6 for the Milestone. This can be found here: http://android.doshaska.net/cm6
  6. LifeInAnalog

LifeInAnalog Well-Known Member

...anytime that specific error shows up, doesn't that mean that vulnerable recovery wasn't flashed properly?
  7. chaoscreater

chaoscreater New Member

yup, that's right. This is usually the case when you're on Android v2.1 (Eclair). If you're on v2.2 (Froyo) then you shouldn't have this problem. But if you do, then there're several ways to fix it, such as removing the recovery.sh file, or just use this here:

Vulnerable recovery for Motorola Milestone - root any known firmware version | android.doshaska.net
  8. D1does

D1does New Member

I have had my d1 rooted for a year now and have never had any problems flashing roms until now. During the installation process it gives me that exact same error. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I am rooted with clockworkmod running miui 1.7 rom.
  9. LifeInAnalog

LifeInAnalog Well-Known Member

...if you are running OpenRecovery try to update it with FuFu's MiniMod, available on XDA. I never had any trouble before when using my open recovery but when I tried to flash MIUI I started getting signature errors. One of the guys there suggested the MiniMod...and it worked.

Open Recovery MiniMod by -FuFu- [29-08-2011] v0.06 - xda-developers
  10. kalesh

kalesh New Member

I'm running 4.0.4, with open recovery 3.3 and I'm trying to install a custom ROM?
    I've tried placing the rom (cm-6) in the update.zip folder in the SD and also in the open recovery / updates folder, but when I go in to recovery mode to apply SDcard: update.zip
    I get the following message

E:failed to read footer from / sdcard/update.zip (Is a directory)
    Installation aborted

Any Ideas?