Early Termination Fees (ETF) Under Scrutiny - up to $550 for "advanced devices"

Last Updated:

1. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

The FCC can't even keep Comcast in check... I don't know anymore.

3. s1ckGhost

s1ckGhost Well-Known Member

'frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrppp' ...gentle men.. that, was a fart. - Peter Griffin.

The prices are outrages, but even if they are able to change the tide, how long till that happens?

4. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

Verizon does not charge 550 for advanced devices. They charge 350 and 175 for the other devices. The 550 is only for the nexus one on t-mobile through google. Although I believe 350 is still outrageous. THey do this though to keep people form buying $600 droids for $375 ( two year price plus early termination). I mean if the ETF was still the same I might start adding a line and just buying new phones to sell them.

5. mp3ster

mp3ster Active Member

^ yep, its a necessary evil. It keeps retailers from hemmoraging money everytime someone wants to switch devices cause they didnt buy the insurance.

6. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

While that sounds like a good idea, if there were no ETF's then anyone could buy the phone, therefore you wouldn't be able to sell it for much ;)

But while I would love no ETF, I agree with the fact that they are necessary for the company.

7. boogaloo

boogaloo Member

Yes, I too think they are necessary but $350 is too much especially for those that bought the device for $200+.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

If there were no ETFs then the carriers wouldn't subsidize the price of the phones, then all the phones would be in the $500 range. The reason I didn't get the Nokia N900 was because I wasn't going to pay $500 for a phone. So I settled for the Droid, still haven't decided if it was a good choice or not.

9. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

How is it too much? If you buy the phone without a contract it costs $550. With the ETF being $350 the only way you pay full price is if you end your contract early. If the ETF were lower and the initial price were still $200 then it would be cheaper to just end your contract early than to pay full price for the phone. This was especially a problem with some of the B1G1 blackberry deals before the ETF was raised. People would essentially pay $175 for a phone they could sell for $400 or more.

10. boogaloo

boogaloo Member

I see your point about those that took advantage of BOGO offers only to cancel and sell the phones. In my case, I paid $200 for my phone plus a $200 ETF equals $400. $400 is more than enough to compensate the carrier for the cost of the phone. Yes, Verizon put $550 on their site, but where did the price come from? It is not a market price since I can get a new Droid on eBay for a lot less (somewhere around $300-$350). I'm pretty sure Verizon gets their phones alot cheaper than those eBay Powersellers.

11. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yep. - Right there you are at $550, LOL