Early termination with Tmo - port to AT&T question

1. dbcad7

dbcad7 Active Member

Since I've never phone/carrier hopped.. maybe someone can give some advice on this.. If I have 4 months left on my 2 year contract with T Mobile, how do I handle the early termination fee thing.. do I call them and do it before I go to ATT/Best Buy ?.. or do you get the phone and have the number transfered and then get hit after by T Mobile ?.. it's not a problem either way, just curious of what is better.

Advertisement
  2. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

If you are porting your phone number, you have to go to AT&T first, without a word to T mo. Some carriers will block the port if they have a heads up ( Sprint is the most notorious for this).
  3. youareme7

youareme7 Well-Known Member

I agree that you should goto at&t first, they'll handle the porting over to them. I've not heard of a phone company literally blocking the ability to port, but if you talk to the carrier you're leaving first I'm sure they will try very hard to get you to stay.
  4. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

If they "terminate" or cancel your service to that line before the other company does the porting paperwork, it will be effectively blocked. When I switched from Sprint to T mo, I had talked to both but told Sprint I was "on the fence about it" and they placed a hold on my account (even with no bill due or anything) and it took T mo about a week to get things squared away and my number back. This was three years ago, but Sprint did not play nicely then, I'd suspect they won't now either... In fact the one customer service lady I spoke with from Sprint about a day into the ordeal actually told me "just why do you think we would just let you take your number when you switch from us?" It was a week of arguing with them daily to get it sorted, and finally they realized they legally had to. I have no idea what their problem is with it, but a quick google that week turned up a bunch of complaints about it.

However, when I switched from Tmo to AT&T, it took all of five minutes.

PS They will send you a bill for the ETF, and T mo charged me for a full extra month because even though the number was ported at the end of a billing cycle, they didn't process it until the next week, which was a new billing cycle. I had to pay it too, there is no way to fight that. I would port in the middle of a cycle to avoid that.
  5. Go to ATT.or best buy and port your number they will do all and then T-Mobile will send you a final bill
  6. k00ey

k00ey Well-Known Member

4 months left on the contract, financially, it is a better option to just stay with TMO and wait it out unless that isnt a problem for you lol.

Within those 4months, itll give users more time with it and you can have actual hands-on reviews and probably alittle bit more support by then from the developers(hopefully)
  7. Oridus

Oridus Well-Known Member

It all depends on how much the person's account is monthly. For example, if an ETF on a line is $200, it makes more financial sense to cancel out and pay it if you're paying $150/mo in service anyway. $600 vs $200 + prorated service. Makes sense to me. (Not talking about including the price of the device, just on a service standpoint.
  8. Chris_Marie

Chris_Marie Well-Known Member

Just pop in at your local AT&T and let them take care of you, don't bother calling tmo first and letting them know. Although you may want call tmo and double check when your contract is officially up so you know how much you will be paying for ETF. Do make sure you have your tmo account # with you when you go to AT&T to make the switch.

I switched from tmo to at&t. Tmo did know before hand but that was because they had to make notes in my acct to waive the ETF.