Early Upgrade Eligibility

Last Updated:

1. uapyro

uapyro Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've seen a few posts like these but haven't been able to get a clear answer on them:

I've called several times asking about getting an early upgrade eligibility but none of them have any clue what I'm talking about. The date for my 2 year eligibility is Oct 1, and the best they said they would do is Sept 15th (for free, I think); I'm more than willing to pay $50 to get an earlier status so I can get the $25 minus the $75 and the $100 MIR/IR.

So is there anything specific I should be referencing, mentioning, or telling them to look up so that I can do this besides "early upgrade eligibility for a fee"?

Advertisement
  2. M1LL3RT1M3

M1LL3RT1M3 Member

Umm.. My 2 year mark is in October as well, but I am already eligble to upgrade normally. I currently have $150 towards my primary line upgrade and $75 towards my secondary, as of October the secondary will go up. I am not sure if this is strictly for Sprint Premier members or if its normal though but I hope it helps a little. Just check you upgrade status on sprint.com.

3. uapyro

For Sprint Premiere it's every year (not sure if it's 10 or 12 months), but for regular people it is every 22 months, though it's easily possible to do it at 21.5 months.

It's 10/1/10 for me, but some people, who were not eligible for premiere, claimed they were able to do it.

4. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

I was looking at my account last night. If I upgrade now I can get $75 off a phone. If I wait till 4/6 I get either $100 or $150 off toward an upgrade.

Weird thing is my wife has no discount at all, but that was because they Sprint store forced her to use her upgrade when she got her Moment since her other Palm phone was old and they no longer supported them. I paid full price for my Moment.

5. BigDaddy2k9

BigDaddy2k9 Well-Known Member

What type of phone are you trying to upgrade from? You may call and tell them your having a known issue with the phone that they have no fix for and threaten to cancel and switch to another provider. Just did that and now Im going to my local corp. store to get a new phone.

6. uapyro

TouchPro2 at the moment, I want to give it to the other line on the plan so I don't want to go that route; it'd be much easier saying I want either a Verizon with Incredible or iPhone 4 on AT&T

7. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

My $75 off discount is in November, so is there any way I can early upgrade to that when the Galaxy S or Galaxy S Pro comes out?

8. mattstud36

mattstud36 Well-Known Member

I called Sprint's customer service center 4 different times asking them about this. They all told me that this is something that they never have done in the past, or are even considering doing in the future. The best that they said they could do was to bump my date up 2 weeks. I think this post is BS!

9. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

On a Sprint Premier account the primary line gets an upgrade with $150 discount every year. The secondary line gets a $75 discount every year and $150 discount every 2 years (well 22 months I believe). I've never got an early upgrade and if there was a phone I HAD to have when I had no upgrade eligibility I bought the phone on ebay. ;)

10. isaemm

isaemm Well-Known Member

I talked to retentions and got this info from them. They will allow the early upgrade if you are within 90 days of your upgrade and are wanting to get the EVO. DOnt know how long you need to have your account for though.

11. StealthTH

StealthTH Well-Known Member

Kind of OT question regarding Sprint Premier status...if I use that does it extend my contract by another 2 years? So say if I upgrade every year back to back I suddenly have a 4 year contract that keeps growing by 2 every upgrade? If so...it actually isn't a very good deal. I haven't done it, but now that I have my EVO I am a "premier" customer and this possibility has been bugging me.

12. isaemm

isaemm Well-Known Member

If you upgrade using a 2 year or 1 year agreement, it only extends the contract from the date you upgraded. It does not add 1 or 2 years, depending on which length you chose, to the existing contract. So you will never have a contract longer than 2 years.

13. uapyro

I thought I updated this post.

My phone broke the last week in June. It took a while to decide either to get it replaced ($100) or wait for an upgrade. I tried July 2nd calling Sprint asking about upgrading early. This time they had me speak to retentions.

When I asked about it, they said they would put in a request for an early upgrade and it would take 3 to 5 business days to go through. Since this was Friday afternoon I figured they wouldn't get around to it until Monday at the very earliest, making it Wednesday to Friday before I would figure anything out.

Instead, Saturday morning, just a few hours later, they had already approved my early upgrade request. It was made on day 91, I got it on day 90 before I was due for an upgrade.

Sprint has surprised me once again!

14. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

All you have to do is ask the right person!

15. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

How did you do it lol. I'm trying to get a 90 day early upgrade too! What did you tell them to get them to send you to retentions and how did you get them to send in the request for early upgrade??

16. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

I have to wait till 4-11-11 to upgrade. I want the EVO!

17. uapyro

I just asked about an early upgrade. I guess I didn't realize how lucky I was that I got it.

Since my phone was broke I was ready to threaten to cancel my line, and potentially to actually do it since I was pretty close to the renewell date. I guess just keep calling randomly and eventually you should get it. It may help if you ask how much it is to cancel, but hangup if they don't budge at that point. You could always say you are thinking about getting the Droid x from verizon to get the point across.