• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Earpiece Cutting In and Out

k425

Jun 24, 2010
Has anyone else had their Photon's ear piece and or speaker phone cut in and out during calls? I thought I read a posting here stating that someone else had this problem. It's pretty bad on mine, but through the ear piece and also speakerphone. I am not sure what is causing this.

Also it seems to be dropping every other call which is strange because it is connected to my Airave. Thoughts anyone?

My current brand new Evo 4G hardware version 0004 does the same thing, but it seems that it only does it when I talk, a loud noise around me happens, or the wind cuts across the mic. It is very odd, and I had the same issue on my Vibrant on T-Mobile.

I am hoping that I don't have this issue with the my photon as well, but at this point I am pretty much used to it.

Upvote 0
Well I tried a Profile Update and I got something like a "com non-fatal error". Then I tried a PRL update and I guess it updated it and the 2 calls since have been crystal clear with no drop outs on either the ear piece or speakerphone. Prior and during the PRL update the signal strength indicator was really fluctuating, jumping up and down like crazy.

So we will see if this stays fixed. I will let you know.

Upvote 0
Usually a good idea to update Profile after PRL. If it continues to grief you rather than do as it should, not a bad idea to try a 60-second battery pull and try again. (Profile update is such a good idea that it's the next step after PRL update when you call Sprint for assistance with a phone reprovisioning or activation (if the rep is on the ball, most all are)).

Upvote 0
2nd Update: Made test calls at home again connected to Airave. Calls we ok no cutting out or dropping (although it sounded like it was close to doing that). Signal Strength meter was 1 bar while I was 10 feet away from the Airave looking right at it. So it looks like it is a Photon (Motorola) / Airave (Samsung) issue possibly.

Anybody else with Sprint Motorola phones and have issues connecting the the Samsung Airave (1st generation) Femtocell?

Upvote 0
Anybody else with Sprint Motorola phones and have issues connecting the the Samsung Airave (1st generation) Femtocell?

A buddy of mine got an HTC Arrive (Windows) through his work and had nothing but issues with his Gen 1 Airrave, calls choppy and flat out drops... He called airrave support and they sent him a new airrave (the one that does data) and everything has been perfect...

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
2nd Update: Made test calls at home again connected to Airave. Calls we ok no cutting out or dropping (although it sounded like it was close to doing that). Signal Strength meter was 1 bar while I was 10 feet away from the Airave looking right at it. So it looks like it is a Photon (Motorola) / Airave (Samsung) issue possibly.

FYI - I've been having problems with my airrave (only recently) and my cousins that have it have been having the same issues too. I've been too lazy to look into it, but I heard there's a problem (and I have one of the original versions, not the more recent version).

Upvote 0

I am having issues with my Photon connected to my 3G Airave. Incoming and Outgoing calls will sometimes fail and my phone won't send SMS messages. When I turn off the Airave, everything works fine. There must be a software glitch between the Airave and the Photon and I think it is with the Airave.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones