• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Earpiece makes a buzzing/rattling when talking on the phone. Issue or just pet peeve?

Piercing Heavens

Mar 31, 2010
Well if it makes you feel any better, it sounds like a freaking bumble bee is caught in the ear piece of mine. :( Everything else is fine. I haven't made any calls on it, but have listened to a few voice mails and there is a buzzing in the earpiece like the speaker is rattling or something. The actual sound is clear, but it sounds like anytime there is a low noise (deep voice) it causes something to rattle within the earpiece. this sucks!

anyone else having problems?

Im having this issue if it even is one or Just a pet peeve. Can you guys please let me know if you are hearing if the audio is buzzing when talking on the phone. Or like the speaker is buzzing when it produces sound from the earpiece. Like something is rattling around. Is this how the phone is or just me?

another update: called the store that I'm planning on going to after work and the woman told me something to the effect of "it may be a software issue. there were some problems similar to this on the Dinc and droid 1 that were fixed by a software update of some kind. bring it in to let a technician look at it."

gonna try this first, but if that doesn't get it, I'll be placing an order for a new unit. I'll keep you posted.

Upvote 0
another update: called the store that I'm planning on going to after work and the woman told me something to the effect of "it may be a software issue. there were some problems similar to this on the Dinc and droid 1 that were fixed by a software update of some kind. bring it in to let a technician look at it."

gonna try this first, but if that doesn't get it, I'll be placing an order for a new unit. I'll keep you posted.

That would be nice if it was a software issue. I'm having the same problem too and everybody around me is sold out. :(

Upvote 0

I've got the same buzzing issue and it has been difficult at times to discern what people are saying. I wont have time to go by a VZW store until Sunday though. Please post if they confirm it is a software issue. I seriously doubt it but it would be nice if it's that simple.

Upvote 0
Just called Verizon and have a new one being sent to me once they get back in stock.

Somebody over at HowardForums returned his phone to the store and was told a few people at that store had also taken theirs in because of said issue.

I played with another Droid X at my local store today while returning my phone case and that one sounded perfect at max volume with the same audio that caused mine to vibrate.

Upvote 0
Went by the store and told the technician what was happening and that the girl on the phone said that it may be a software issue...he just laughed and said that the phone just came out and that software updates were not am option.

He called my voicemail and listened to it for maybe 2 seconds and handed it back and told me it was a blown speaker.

if you're having this same issue, call customer service and they will ship you a new unit. I called friday as soon as I left the store and they told me it would ship out on the 23rd.

Kinda sucks for us, but at least they will replace it without a lot of hassle

Upvote 0
Went by the store and told the technician what was happening and that the girl on the phone said that it may be a software issue...he just laughed and said that the phone just came out and that software updates were not am option.

He called my voicemail and listened to it for maybe 2 seconds and handed it back and told me it was a blown speaker.

if you're having this same issue, call customer service and they will ship you a new unit. I called friday as soon as I left the store and they told me it would ship out on the 23rd.

Kinda sucks for us, but at least they will replace it without a lot of hassle

Upvote 0
I'm having this issue, but it isn't constant. I'm going to wait (since I'm obviously still within my 30 day) and see if the second one I have coming does the same thing. It's not THAT bad, just a slight annoyance. I don't think my speaker is blown. It really only does it at the highest and second highest volume levels. I've spent so much time customizing, I'd hate to start from scratch!

Upvote 0

OMG I used to hate it when no brain CSRs would tell people that an OBVIOUS hardware issue could be fixed with a software update. the line about the incredible and the droid is BS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones