Earpiece speaker problemSupport

1. cjmaniac

cjmaniac Well-Known Member

Thought I would start a new thread for my problem. Earpiece speaker has stopped working. The other speaker works fine so I can still use speaker phone to get calls. Everything else works properly still. My phone had jiliks custom rom v008 installed and overclocked slightly for I believe 3 days with no issues before this happened. I tried reflashing that rom and it didn't change anything. I did a nand recovery i had made to my stock lg 2.3 rom. Same problem. I'm suspecting it could be a hardware issue.

Jilik suggested that it could be a radio issue. I may try the unbricking/radio updating procedure but I'm considering taking apart the phone first to see if a connection has come undone. I found this video LG Ally Take Apart Screen Repair Guide - YouTube and our phones are pretty much the same. This part lists the speakers as the same part number if i need to replace it. LG Ally VS740, Shine Plus 710 Ear Speaker

Advertisement
    :
    jiilik likes this.
  2. jiilik

jiilik Well-Known Member

Hey! If you have another camera, take pictures of everything you can. Might come in useful for identifying hardware and chipset versions and other fun things. ;d

Hope things go well for you - also, I hope it's just the earpiece and not something more annoying. It's cool that you found that site. I just punched in Shine Plus in their search box, and they have replacement keyboards and a few other things too - assuming they are in stock, etc. Could be good to know in the future.

Cheers
  3. cjmaniac

Well I took it apart and didn't find anything obviously wrong with the speaker connections. Solder connections looked good as did the wires so I guess my last try will be the radio. I didn't take any pics because I attempted it before I read your post. lol But It actually came apart pretty easily and on this phone you dont need to remove the sticker to access the motherboard (unlike the ally video i posted) if you need any pictures of it I could take some again, just the 8 screws and it unsnaps.
  4. cjmaniac

Alright I just tried updating my phone using the unbricking instructions with the lg v20a kdz file. Seems to have reloaded everything properly. Took maybe 5 mins, still didnt work. I tried to access recovery menu with vol down home power and it did a factory reset so I guess even the recovery was flashed back to the original lg one.

Unfortunately, the speaker is still not working. So it's looking like a weird hardware failure now more than anything unless someone has any more ideas. Good news is it appears everything is back to factory defaults now. Wonder if I could return for warranty?
  5. jiilik

jiilik Well-Known Member

I'd wager 5 shiny pennies that you could return for full warranty :)
  6. cjmaniac

Ya it looks like all evidence of rooting is gone after doing that update and then a factory defualt restore which may be good to know for anyone else. If I formatted the sd card it would be like new, minus the speaker not functioning.
  7. cjmaniac

Randomly started working again. No idea how.
  8. jiilik

jiilik Well-Known Member

Electronics seldom do things randomly, unless there's loose wiring or a short. Maybe it's a loose connection elsewhere in the phone. In the ribbon that connects the two halves through the sliding mechanism perhaps?

Anyway, glad it's working.
  9. cjmaniac

Ya seems like an intermittent thing now. I'd say I'll have to send it back.
  10. cjmaniac

Got my phone back today. Speaker was replaced under warrenty.