Easiest way to back up files to a share (?)

Last Updated:

1. fizbin

fizbin Member This Topic's Starter

I would like to make a nightly job that moves photos from my SD card to a share on my home network. I have tasker and can set it to turn on wifi at a certain time, however tasker can only move a file if it is given a specific file name. It doesn't seem to be able to move all files in a specific directory (unless I am mistaken).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    J

Advertisement
  2. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Not sure this is what you are looking for...

But there's an app called Lookout which will backup your photos.
    I've never used it for backing up photos, so dont know all the details, but it might work for you.

3. fizbin

Thanks. That doesn't seem to allow me to specify where I would like to back up the files. Also, I might want to back up other files than pictures (e.g. videos). I'd like a lot more control over it. It should be something like a scheduled backup, where the source and destination are completely configurable...including backing up specific directories, perhaps with file type filters, to specific destinations (e.g. SD card, file share, ftp).

Also, I should be able to choose to either copy or move, and perhaps toggle wifi. Add "file exists" rules and you've got a very flexible backup solution.

Seems like someone should have already invented this right? I can't find it.

4. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Do you leave your phone plugged into your computer at night? If so, you could mount your SD card as a disk drive and run SyncToy on your computer to do it.

5. fizbin

Thanks, no, if I went to all that trouble I might as well copy things over manually then I guess. I'm trying to avoid that.