Easiest way to root?

Last Updated:

1. MatthewHinton

MatthewHinton Active Member This Topic's Starter

I spent over an hour last night try to find out how to root the desire. I found several tuts on xda developers but they are quite complicated i dont mind the effort but i saw how the evo has an app which roots the phone just by pressing a button. What are the chances of this being developed for the desire?

Advertisement
  2. kilroy

kilroy Well-Known Member

edwardmlyte likes this.
  3. edwardmlyte

edwardmlyte Well-Known Member

Just hijacking this thread, sorry. I want to root my desire to get Froyo on it. I was wondering, how do I know if I need to use a gold card? I bought the phone from T-mobile, but it seems to have stuff to do with Virgin on it :S.

And can you unroot it/go back to HTC's official Froyo if or when it comes out. Or go back to 2.1 HTC Sense in the future to keep it in warranty.

Ta, Ed.

4. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

Rooting wont give you froyo - froyo isnt out yet on the desire. it will give you apps2sd but as some of the posts around here suggest 2.2 is coming in Q3 anyway...

5. edwardmlyte

edwardmlyte Well-Known Member

I found this guy who has made a froyo update for the desire. Thought I'd give it a whirl until htc release it officially.

So does anyone have answers to my previous questions?

6. zamansimba

zamansimba Member

i would like to know too about whether unlocked/sim free desire's still need gold cards

7. Desire D

Desire D Well-Known Member

I rooted my Virgin branded Desire earlier - although it would accept my 02 sim card fine I went the GoldCard route just to be safe. GoldCard bit only takes a few minutes so silly not to really.

Used the guide linked by kilroy above, so thanks for that :)

8. Ceefax

Ceefax Well-Known Member

I found the guide by Lekky here was easy as pie to follow. Admittedly not as easy as just clicking a button....

If you want to use a different ROM (i.e a froyo one) simply change the final steps so you copy the ROM you want to sd card instead of ' r1-a2sd-desire-dalvik-fresh-signed.zip' and follow the steps exactly the same up to 16 and you're done.

There's a goldcard making guide here too. Again, so straight forward in the way it's described it's easy to do too.

9. MatthewHinton

MatthewHinton Active Member This Topic's Starter

Well i managed to do it. I followed the tut from XDA Developers here. It went smoothly. I used a custom rom after called shadowfrost, all was well until I encountered alot of lagg which i couldnt fin the cause of. So I then used ROM Manager and changed rom to DeFrost and it works perfectly Android 2.2 and rooted :).