Easily root the Optimus Showtime

Last Updated: 2014-09-03 00:44:15
  1. BobbyBlunt

BobbyBlunt Member

Well the venice recently got the JB update and from what I am reading it is beyond terrible. You might be better off sticking with ICS for the time being. I know from now on I am going to take advantage of the "bring your own phone" program so this situation with locked bootloaders and lack of community support never happen to me again :D

Advertisement
    MalindaDawn and scary alien like this.
  2. MalindaDawn

MalindaDawn Active Member

What kind is the Venice?
  3. RVRoadTrip

RVRoadTrip Active Member

Picked up an LG Optimus Showtime from my local Walmart this week and tried to root using this method and it was a no-go. I installed the USB driver then followed the instructions included with the root files, but it doesn't install or change anything on the phone. Oh well, I will keep looking for a root option.

Android 4.0.4
    Baseband Version: MSM8655
    Kernel Version: 3.0.8
    Build Number: IMM76L
    Software Version: L86CV10a

EDIT: Was able to root via the program at srsroot.com
    BobbyBlunt and scary alien like this.
  4. MalindaDawn

MalindaDawn Active Member

I tried to root using that and it was a no go for me
  5. gatorfreak

gatorfreak Member

Hi everyone! im new to this forum but have done a lot with my A2 on UPP. I JUST purchased the LG Optimus Showtime & looking forward to giving my input & any help. I haven't root the phone yet but planning on doing so soon. :)
  6. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Hey gatorfreak, always happy to welcome another Hoosier to the AndroidForums :).

Cheers!
    gatorfreak likes this.
  7. gatorfreak

gatorfreak Member

Always happy to here from a fellow Hoosier. I see there is a couple of different root methods for this phone. I'm familiar with the poot method. I have used it for my A2 m865c. Is it a working root for this phone or should I use the XDA method?
    scary alien likes this.
  8. gatorfreak

gatorfreak Member

Oh by the way PG has a thread in UPP looking for files to start building custom recovery's for phones but no time table as when they will be done. With the bootloader being locked tho it wont be easy task. I will post a link to the thread here for everybody in a lil bit
    scary alien likes this.
  9. gatorfreak

gatorfreak Member

scary alien likes this.
  10. gatorfreak

gatorfreak Member

Rooted my phone using the poot/ministro method with success! :)
  11. jenniferberry

jenniferberry New Member

Hi. I am new here also. I am trying to root my optimus Showtime using poot but I keep getting an error 22. Any suggestions?
  12. gatorfreak

gatorfreak Member

Do you have all the apk downloaded that are listed post #20? I had to run it a couple of times before it would take.
  13. gatorfreak

gatorfreak Member

was wandering if anybody has tried the recovery that BobbyBlunt posted in post #22
  14. BobbyBlunt

BobbyBlunt Member

No way to flash it as far as I know. Locked bootloader and sig check on the recovery partition. I was able to dump the original and compile against it but I dont know of a way to flash it. Would be nice if there was something like safestrap for our device.
    gatorfreak likes this.
  15. gatorfreak

gatorfreak Member

Its going to take a custom recovery for sure. I'm sending some stuff to Playful God but with out unlocking the bootloader it wont be easy. I went to the irc site you posted but couldn't find ya
  16. BobbyBlunt

BobbyBlunt Member

Yeah I was all alone in there so I quit going there lol. I have no idea where to start with unlocking the bootloader. In my research I did learn a lot about the way these locked bootloaders work and exploits etc.
  17. TheShadowhand

TheShadowhand New Member

I rooted my LG L86c Optimus Showtime. I uninstalled some random apps that came with it I downloaded and used a app that could install the system apps like Twitter and Google Play Movies. Now I get "Secure Booting Unsuccessful Cause: errorlogo" I found that Google Play Movies has some DRM stuff in it that the phone checks for when it boots, and if it is not there, it fails the security test, and does not boot. I need help trying to get my phone in working order. Please ANYONE help me through this step by step. Just bought this phone and now it's a brick. I was able to get it to the "Download is in progress. Do not disconnect cable." screen if that helps. I also downloaded the original .cab file for my phone I just don't know what to do with it all.
  18. BobbyBlunt

BobbyBlunt Member

Have you tried the LG PC software?
  19. gatorfreak

gatorfreak Member

Happy 4th of July!!! :)
  20. clark71822

clark71822 Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone has tried adb reboot oem-unlock command to unlock the bootloader with any success?
  21. BobbyBlunt

BobbyBlunt Member

nope I tried it and it doesnt work
  22. scary alien

You guys mean "fastboot oem unlock", right?

Don't think adb has an unlock option.

Cheers!
  23. osiris774

osiris774 New Member

After installing the LG drivers so my pc would recognize my phone I was able to root the LG Optimus Showtime with one click.
    I used "Unlock Root"
    It's also able to Unroot with one click.
    I wanted to root in order to remove some bloatware but after reading about some people that ran into problems with boot loops, I decided to Unroot because i got scared. I will wait and read some more until i feel comfortable with it.
  24. scary alien

Welcome to our AndroidForums, osiris774 :).

Glad you're being cautious with your root powers :thumbup: :).

It's always advisable to have a fallback / backout plan that you know can undo any scary action you make take on your Android device (i.e., a restorable Nandroid backup, etc.).

Also, note that it's usually better to "freeze" (disable) an application you with to not use vs. actually removing or renaming them. That way, you can easily "thaw" (re-enable) those applications since they're still on your device but not actually running.

Cheers and glad you signed-up with us here at AF.
    BobbyBlunt and gatorfreak like this.
  25. clark71822

clark71822 Well-Known Member

No I meant adb reboot oem-unlock...you ran this command to unlock the bootloader on some LG devices (think the optimus g was one of them). But that don't work on this phone...haven't tried fastboot method.
    gatorfreak and scary alien like this.