• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Easy instructions to unroot back to 100% stock?

Why not just try it out? It won't hurt anything. Do a Nandroid backup first, just in case. Then after the RUU is finished installing, try to reboot your phone into recovery mode (vol+ + power). It shouldn't be there. Then use the adb shell tool in the Android SDK, and type the command "su" to see if you get root access. If all goes as planned, you shouldn't be able to. Also your phone should be completely stock. Verizon won't know ;)

And, if none of that even works (which is not likely... I'm sure it will be fine...), you can always just restore your Nandroid and you'll be right back where you are at this very moment, then you can just try something else.

It will take you 15 minutes, instead of waiting hours for an answer here ;)

Before I start, which method are you suggesting I try?

This one:
http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/92096-verizons-ruu-official-2-1-droid-eris.html
which from what I can tell is something almost identical to official OTA - and which sounds like can't be undone once preformed

or this one:
HowTo: Flash Any Ruu - xda-developers
which I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the mr2 update - does it go in the sdk tools folder? then what?

sorry for my impatience, but I need a working phone for work, I need this done tonight so I can go to verizon first thing in the morning.

Upvote 0
Before I start, which method are you suggesting I try?

This one:
http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/92096-verizons-ruu-official-2-1-droid-eris.html
which from what I can tell is something almost identical to official OTA - and which sounds like can't be undone once preformed

or this one:
HowTo: Flash Any Ruu - xda-developers
which I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the mr2 update - does it go in the sdk tools folder? then what?

sorry for my impatience, but I need a working phone for work, I need this done tonight so I can go to verizon first thing in the morning.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you might not get a replacement Eris tomorrow morning. Many stores don't even carry them anymore. So they might have to send it with overnight shipping.

Upvote 0
Try the RUU .exe method - it looks the easiest.

ANY method can be undone now. There are new root methods that work on any version (leak, OTA, hboot 1.49... all of 'em), so don't worry about that.

If Verizon doesn't have one in-store, they'll probably have to mail you one (takes 2 business days). Some people have also had luck switching to the Droid or Incredible, but that seems to be hit or miss.

Reactions: OUScooby
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So I tried this method: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/92096-verizons-ruu-official-2-1-droid-eris.html
It didn't work, the computer can't even recognize my phone. USB debuging is on it's set to charge only.

That leaves me with this method: HowTo: Flash Any Ruu - xda-developers
Now can someone please explain to me what am I supposed to do with this mr2 update file?

As I stated above the mr2 is an ruu just like the link above. They are .exe files that you execute while your phone is plugged into the pc, although I'm not sure if you should have usb debugging on.

Upvote 0
So I tried this method: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/92096-verizons-ruu-official-2-1-droid-eris.html
It didn't work, the computer can't even recognize my phone. USB debuging is on it's set to charge only.

That leaves me with this method: HowTo: Flash Any Ruu - xda-developers
Now can someone please explain to me what am I supposed to do with this mr2 update file?

Both of those require you to be connected to your computer in the same way. You might need to install an Android USB driver. I had quite a time finding that solution, but after that I've had no problems.

How did you root in the first place?

Upvote 0
I ran the mr2 executable file - i thought this was supposed to be used somehow with this method: HowTo: Flash Any Ruu - xda-developers
anyway, it couldn't see my phone either.

To be honest I don't really remember what I did to root, I followed the instructions in the 1.5 to 2.1 thread. I had the phone connected via usb with no problems them, no I can't get the computer to see the phone, I've tried, charge only, htc sync, disk drive all with and without usb debugging on and off.

Upvote 0
OK, they latest brick wall I've hit is that my computer just can't see my phone. I've tried on two different computers, one using window 7 starter, the other using windows xp, and I've tried multiple usb cables. I've tried powering on/off both the computer and the phone. Nothing!

I've reinstalled htc sync, and android sdk, I even did a factory reset. no luck!

Upvote 0
I just noticed that i no longer have wireless tether, or SU app after doing a factory reset. Could I have somehow accidentally unrooted?

Firmware Version:
Baseband Version:
Kernal Version:
2.6.29-5898f66b
Build number:
2.19.605.1 CL12345 test-keys
Software number:
Browser version:
webkit 3.1
PRI Version:
2.11_002
PRL Version:
ERI Version:

Upvote 0
First off, thank you to everyone who tried to help with my problem. I guess there was a (hardware?) problem with the usb connection on the phone, so I was never able to get it to connect to the computer to try any of these methods. But my thanks go out to all of you anyway.

So I took my rooted phone to Verizon. They didn't look at what software was on, and gave me a replacement eris. I tried to complain my was to an upgrade, but to no avail. I plugged the new phone into my computer when I go home, and it connected right away like it should, so I guess the problem was with my old phone, and not with drivers or anything like that.
Still I'm glad to have a working phone again, and I think I'll leave this one alone, although I will miss the wireless tether.

I still think there should be a clearly written idiots guide to unroot, it seem like something a few people are looking for, and we are not all as technologically savy as many users on here, so wading through the discussion in other unroot threads can be hard to follow.
The instruction in the all things root thread never worked for me. And of the two methods here, obviously I was never able to try either as my phone wouldn't connect to my computer, but I still have a few question left that may help future people looking at this thread.

Method 1:
This method seemed pretty straight forward, just download the program run it with your phone connected to your computer, and it will do it for you.
But I never really got an answer as to what exactly this was. Is it truely 100% stock, or something very close that it is almost identical, or is it leak v3?

Method 2:
The other method suggested: HowTo: Flash Any Ruu - xda-developers
seemed to have three files associated with it; misc.img.zip, flash_image, and mr2 update. Misc.img.zip and flash_image go in the tools folder of the SDK. What is done with the mr2 update? Does it also go in the tools folder? Does it go on the SD card in the phone? Or is it not even used in this method, and it's its own method all together?

I am no longer in need of unrooting as I've got my phone replaced with a stock one, but these were the questions that I never felt I got a clear answer to. I started this thread because I was looking for an idiot's guide to unroot. Re-read the first post, remember to word your answers as if they are for that slow 8 year old kid who picks his nose and eats paste. Hopefully it will be easier for the next person who reads this thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones