• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Easy root for 2.2?

novarider

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
Now that root is out for 2.2 I'm just curious how long everyone thinks it will take for someone to put up a website that will automatically root your phone like on 2.1

I know someone is going too say its not hard or something like that but I don't want to damage my phone. I could do it if I wanted to but I'm just OK on a computer not great and I don't want to hit a wrong key somewhere and have a $500 paper weight

The only reason I want to root is so I can use apps like shoot me and so I can over/under clock my phone and so I can wipe my battery stats. I won't be flashing new roms every few days or anything like that I'm happy with my launcher pro setup.

Now that root is out for 2.2 I'm just curious how long everyone thinks it will take for someone to put up a website that will automatically root your phone like on 2.1

I know someone is going too say its not hard or something like that but I don't want to damage my phone. I could do it if I wanted to but I'm just OK on a computer not great and I don't want to hit a wrong key somewhere and have a $500 paper weight

The only reason I want to root is so I can use apps like shoot me and so I can over/under clock my phone and so I can wipe my battery stats. I won't be flashing new roms every few days or anything like that I'm happy with my launcher pro setup.

Expect the SimpleRoot author(s) to incorporate today's downgrade steps into Simpleroot. Within a week, i'd say. You may still have to toggle airplane mode manually, but simpleroot will probably tell you when to do so.

Actually, Simpleroot is basically an encapsulation of the original Toast method of rooting, which was about as complicated as the instructions posted today. That's why I think it will be fairly trivial for Simpleroot to do all this behind the click of a few buttons.

Reactions: ceabbott2
Upvote 0
I am rooted with the first of toast's steps and running an early fresh rom 2.1. I never felt up to doing the rest of the steps and I never did the ota update. Does anyone know whether I can simply use the simple root now in order to flash the rooted 2.2 roms that require nand /recovery and does it matter that I never did the update? Thanks

You should be able to root with simple root with the 2.1 rom. To my knowledge, that is what I am going to do!

Upvote 0
So rooting will loose froyo? I like froyo because I can now stream movies where I had to download them before.

Well, you are downgraded first so you have the ability to root. Once rooted, you can choose to stay at rooted 2.1, or you can flash a rooted 2.2 ROM.

In other words, once you're rooted, you're no longer constrained to any version.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones