Easy way to sync photos/videos from your phone to your PC with SyncToy

Last Updated:

1. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

One of the features that really got to me after I got my Android phone was that there wasn't a program that would allow you to easily sync photos and videos taken with your PC. There are OTA (over the air) options like Lookout Mobile Security but you're limited to 1.5GB. Since I connect my phone to my PC daily, I figured why not use a folder syncing program?

So here's what I'm doing:

1. Download Microsoft's SyncToy: Download details: SyncToy 2.1
    (download links are on the bottom of the page)

2. Install program

3. Connect your Android phone to your PC, choose the option that'll let you access it as a disk drive

4. Open up SyncToy

5. Create a New Folder Pair

6. For the LEFT FOLDER, choose the directory on your phone where the photos are stored

7. For the RIGHT FOLDER, choose the directory where you'd like your photos/videos to be saved on your PC.

8. Choose "Contribute" so only new photos taken will be transferred over

9. Name your Folder Pair like "HTC EVO 4G photo sync" or something

10. Then click Run and you're done! :)

Now when you sync, all you have to do is open SyncToy and click "Run" and that's it. Really quick and simple. I suggest saving a backup of your photos so you don't accidently delete any photos.

Advertisement
  2. TwinCams

TwinCams Active Member

I'm going to give this a whirl with my DX.

3. thedosbox

thedosbox Guest

If you actually have a HTC phone, HTC Sync will do this for you. It can also handle music, along with the Outlook address book.

4. The_Horak

The_Horak Well-Known Member

Awesome Post. I'm glad that someone else already posted this information. I've been using SyncToy and it is simple, lightweight, and it works flawlessly with Windows. HTC Sync is good but it seemed a bit too complicated, I think. All I know is there had to be some reason, or else I'd be using it. SyncToy also allows music to be added to the PC from the device while adding music to the device from the PC. It works in both directions.

My only recommendation is to let SyncToy add you Music/Pictures/Video folder to the device from scratch (like syncing a new iPod for the first time). Is ensures that both the Device and PC are, well, in sync.

5. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Well-Known Member

just so you have other options for photo backup:

i've been using the free version of SugarSync, which auto uploads my pictures to sugarsync's servers. Works really well.

google+ app also does this automatically.

6. dlin95123

dlin95123 Well-Known Member

Any Android apps that work like SyncToy on the Android phones? I prefer do it wirelessly and via WiFi. One of my computers is always on and I would like to backup photo/video files on my HTC Evo 4G phone to this PC.

7. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Well-Known Member

just create an account with sugarsync and set it up on your phone and PC.

8. dlin95123

dlin95123 Well-Known Member

Any apps that don't require internet storage? I would like to have something similar to SyncToy. I use it to sync/backup files from my laptops to the PC server wirelessly. It works pretty well.