• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EasyTether -a new tethering app for Android

Yes, I have also begun to have trouble connecting through easytether. It began on 01/17/11, I get the message "doesn't recognize device". I am assuming I need to update something, so I have uninstalled it on my computer and reinstalled. I won't be able to try it out until tonight, so I am not sure if this will fix the problem or not. Does anyone else have any suggestions. This is my only way to connect at home, so I miss it greatly when it's down. Thanks, Pam

Upvote 0
I'm curious why the website specifies it "supports Windows 7/Vista/XP (32-bit and 64-bit) desktop computer" (bolding mine). I can't think of too many reasons why someone would tether a desktop, as opposed to a laptop.

Well, off the top of my head, when my internet is down... Or when I have to unplug the CAT-5 and move my router to the other side of the room to get better wifi signal in the garage... Or when I want to quickly browse something at work (using a thumb drive browser) that net nanny won't let me get to...

I'm just sayin'...

Upvote 0
EasyTether
Droid X Windows Vista 32bit- Windows 7 64 bit
I have used the paid version for over a month with no issues connecting other than not being able to connect via FTP to any site - or via any software ...
HTTPS works on the paid version not on the lite version - Verizon did not charge me for being over 7 gigs - the hotspot has a limit of 2 gig
IMO it is a good program that does as advertised and I appreciate being directed towards this software via this forum - TY
P.S. On my Windows 7 pc I can enable wireless sharing via easytether with no issues
Speeds in both cases run about 1.5 down and .5 up (average) Ive seen peeks of over 2.3mb
Vista has the option to share wireless connection but I did not try it ...
Thanks again

Upvote 0
Easytether used to be EASY, why is it that every time now I have to turn easytether on and off on my phone...

I am not really sure when this started happening but I can say that my connectins have not been the same since...

please undo what ever you did to make it this way...

OR atleast give us the option to have to do it...

Upvote 0
EasyTether Lite is the easiest to install and use. No need for Root.

Use the following link for Android:

How to tether Android - EasyTether. Android tethering for Mac OS X, Ubuntu, PS3, XBox, Wii, Windows

Download and install the following drivers (core package and supplementary) to your Windows PC (Vista/XP/7):

EasyTether drivers

Install these drivers on your computer!
Enable Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging on your Android phone.
Windows 7/Vista/XP (core package): 32-bit / 64-bit
Supplementary Windows-only drivers (require the core package above): Samsung / LG

Link for the above drivers is:

EasyTether - Android Tether Solution: EasyTether drivers

Download EasyTether Lite app from Android Market on your Android Phone/Device.
Follow easy instructions on your phone.

The Internet connection is fast, stable and reliable.

Upvote 0
I was going to try PDAnet today, but their website seems to be down. I saw EasyTether in the Market and saw some good reviews and decided to try it. Installation went as described and seems to be working flawlessly thus far (it's been about an hour).

I'm on a MacBook - OS X 10.5.8, USB tethered to my Incredible

Upvote 0
My main question is...Am I gonna get charged out the ass for this? Using it for instant messenger and some surfing for a few days until my internet is restored. Im a verizon customer and have the unlimited data plan..As long as I stay under 5 gigs, am I ok? I dont want to lose my service or get sued or anything like that..Just worried I'll get some huge fine. (Samsung Fascinate SCH-I500)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones