Easytether and using the phone?Support

Last Updated:

1. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm using easy tether and have been for a while. I just reroooted my phone and installed the lastest version of fresh. The problem has occurred since installing fresh. Prior to fresh I was rooted but stock with whatever ROM was coming with the EVOs in early june. I know it was 2.1 if that refers to the ROM.

When I was stock and 2.1 I could use easy tether for pc internet access, and talk on the phone or text at the same time. Now with 2.2 if you use the phone or text internet access is shut down.

Maybe it is just fresh but I don't think so. My wife has a stock unrooted evo that came with 2.2, and she has the same problem.

Any idea what is causing this? Is there a way to "fix" it? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

No, you couldn't. That is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE with CDMA. The 3g uses the same radio as voice, so its impossible to do both at the same time.

You may still have been "connected" with easy tether while on the phone, but you certainly wouldnt be downloading data at the same time.

3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

^ what he said...if the internet is using the 3g radio YOU CAN NOT make calls at the same time and if on a phone call you cannot connect to the internet

it isn't possible UNLESS you are connected to 4g or wifi...which are different radios

4. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

I agree with both replies. It simply is not possible. Early on I thought I was experiencing the same benefit only to realize that when I was enjoying this impossible benefit I was actually logged onto a WIFI network.

5. hortstu

Did I mention I'm using Ubuntu. Maybe that had something to do with it? I'm fairly certain it was working. I was using working this way for well over a month.

Well this might be the case. I did start getting variable quality 4G a week or so into this set up. I'm pretty sure that I used 3G at least a little bit. I guess it's possible that I didn't use the text or phone while doing browsing though.

I've never used wifi. I hate finding those long passwords and entering them and the 3g is usually fast enough. I have the widget set to off.

Is it possible that this worked because of my laptops OS?

6. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with an operating system but has everyone to do with the hardware, in this case the 3G radio. It is simply not possible to use the 3G data and voice at the same time on a CDMA phone

hortstu likes this.
  7. sitlet

sitlet Banned

that has NOTHING to do with it. The phone CANNOT use 3g data and talk at the same time, impossible..

hortstu likes this.
  8. dantouta

dantouta New Member

I am new to the androif world. I have just installed easytether and it worked pretty well so far. I have a question though, should I always be connecting my phone to the labtop via the USB cable to get internet access. Is there any tethering app that doesn't need connecting the phone all the time. I am concerned that continous connection may harm the battery..

Thanks

9. hortstu

As far as I know, unless you are rooted, you need to use the usb cable to get internet access. Unless you pay sprint for the wifi/ hotspot.