Easytether keeps disconnectingSupport

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. side0ut

side0ut Well-Known Member

Hi,

Did a search but could not find anyone else having the same problem. I am using easytether on one of my desktops at my house. Everything works great except that the connection keeps dropping. At first I thought it was because I did not have IE up (use internet connection wizard so other computer access the internet through this connection) but I noticed it still drops connection even when I was surfing with IE. Anyone else experience this? Is there a timeout issue? Should I get a keep alive program like with using a standard modem?

Thanks,

Rich

Advertisement
  2. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Well-Known Member

mine does this all the time as well. i will subscribe to this thread to see if anyone ever figures anything out. it does get old.
  3. side0ut

Will maybe tryout pdanet to see if it has disconnecting problems also. Very frustrating when I am trying to download a 70mg file and it keeps disconnecting. Finally gave up and never got the file downloaded.

I am glad to know that it is not just me. I thought maybe I had configured it incorrectly or that there was a timeout setting that I missed.
  4. ImmaSlave4U

ImmaSlave4U Well-Known Member

I have this app (paid) and have had it disconect a couple times today. It's not constantly disconecting for me, though.
  5. mattpsx2

mattpsx2 Well-Known Member

Are you guys using juice defender? It will cut off your mobile connection once your phone's screen goes idle. I haven't had any issues with easytether so far and I'm running the free version.
  6. side0ut

I am not using juice. I do turn off my screen.. will try tonight and see if I leave the screen on if it will still disconnect on me. Will also try pdanet to see how it does.
  7. mattpsx2

mattpsx2 Well-Known Member

My connection with the screen off stays solid iirc. idk what kind of problems you're having then.
  8. side0ut

So I did some experiments last night. It did not matter if I left the screen on, I still get frequent disconnects on my desktop. Funny thing is that when I decided to try my laptop, it never disconnected in the couple of hours of use. Will have to do further experiments to determine if it is a usb issue or the fact that I am running vista on my laptop and xp pro on my desktop.
  9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Is it possible you're losing your 3G from time to time and the side effect is to drop the tether?

Perhaps others with more experience can guide you on this, but there's a system log reader free in the market called aLogcat.

If I were in your shoes, I'd start aLogcat, clear the logs, and hit the Home key to just leave it running in the background, then start tethering.

At the first instant of trouble, I'd long-press the Home key, select aLogcat, wait for the update (it will give you a msg saying it's doing that) and then do Menu -> Pause, then Menu -> Send and email it to yourself. You might then open that email, make a PDF and upload that link here by using the Go Advanced posting feature and then hitting the paper clip icon.

Someone might then be able to look through that to see if the problem can be traced further.

I'm probably way off base and this probably won't lead anywhere.

Dealing with log files are boring and arcane, so this might be considered as a last resort kinda option.
    Gary Friderichsohn likes this.
  10. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Well-Known Member

I have the paid version as well. My laptoo seems to work fine. Its runnjng vista bug my desktop is running windows 7. Funny thing is thay when signed jnto my accojnt on windows 7 it seems to diss onnect a lot but if its signed jnto my girlfriends accojnt it seems to work fine.
  11. JAX225

JAX225 New Member

Sounds like me. I got tired of running down blind alleys for solutions and went with PDAnet to see if it was the Easy Tether program itself. The same problem occured with PDAnet as well. Fortunately their error messages led me to find the new HTC Sync program was giving the same problems to the android-driven Hero I think it was. They said to uninstall Sync, reinstall PDAnet, and all should work. I tried it for about an hour in the morning before work and it seemed to work fine (connection would drop in 5-10 mins previously). I also had none of the network setup errors I was getting before. I'm going to try again later with Easy Tether when I get off work since I've already paid for the full version. Hope it works, I'll post the results.

I forgot to mention I'm on the Incredible, FWIW.

Still having problems but now less frequent. FWIW PDAnet is also problematic for me. Just when I think I'm out... they pull me back in.
  12. Hopworks

Hopworks New Member

I am also having frequent disconnects using EasyTether (PAID) on the Moto Droid. The problem started immediately after the 2.2 update. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, but it seems to be less frequent when I turn off the screen.

I never had a dropped connection before the update. I decided to try the added tethering feature but even though I can connect with my phone just fine already via USB (transfer files, EasyTether, etc), Windows XP Pro still asks for the A855 drivers. I will not install Moto Connect again EVER so I will have to wait until I get my hands on the 2.2 SDK.
  13. cyberpine

cyberpine Well-Known Member

I'm using easyTether (free) on a Samsung Epic (android 2.1). I've used it under 3g and 4g. I've had really good days when I'm on for an hour plus without a disconnect. But on a day like today, I can't keep it connected for more than a 1 minute at most. And for some reason, my igoolgle page which is really busy with connections all of the place causes it to disconnect immediately.

I have two email accounts on my device, both using Exchange activesync.

Has anybody contacted the developer?
    Is there a log or something we can look at?

Desktop is windows 7 enterprise. Browsing from Chrome.

Seeing some event errors:
    appliation: The description for EventID 0 from source Appliation cannot be found.

And system error: NTpClient was unable to set a domain peer to use at this time source because of discovery error.

If anybody is using anything else or can tether and surf for hours without disconnects,please - i am very interested in hearing about it.

More info: I'm not sure why, but tethering does not like this site in particular. I'm tethered right now and this site jams up (not disconnecting) but just loading .. and waiting on Android.com constantly. I often have to stop the page and reload.
  14. cyberpine

cyberpine Well-Known Member

Here's an update. It would appear my problem was how I had my USB connected. I was connecting to a monitor USB port which was splitting a single USB port with some old USB cable that did not look so good.

since connecting directly to an open port on the motherboard I am golden - even at 4g speeds.
  15. jontornblom

jontornblom Member

Just a note:

I seem to only have issues with easytether pro when I'm using torrents. Don't know why, just an apparent correlation.
  16. muldoon711

muldoon711 New Member

So i was having the same issue and just figured out the cause. If you are using advance task killer or a similar program they usually auto-kill any running programs when the screen goes off. So i fixed this by making easy-tether an exclusion so when the screen goes off it does no disconnect anymore. Hope this helps some people out.
  17. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

^ one of many reasons people suggest not using task killers. If one dose, it's a good idea to check that list from time to time
  18. earf

earf New Member

Props to CyberPine. I've been having problems with SEVERAL devices connected to my USB ports, depending on what port it's connected to. I use NO hubs for USB, everything is directly connected to the motherboard... Here's the problem: MANY, MANY motherboards have both USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 ports. I thought I was connected to a USB 2.0 port, and whether I'm connected to a 1.0 now (Linux says otherwise) or not, the connection DOES NOT drop and I do NOT have to restart EasyTether. It seems as before, when the bandwidth (regardless of transmit or receive) exceeded a certain level or packets exceeded a certain limit per second the connection would drop and EasyTether would stop running, thus requiring a manual restart of EasyTether (and a physical disconnection and thus reconnection of the USB cable)! This left me very frustrated as I would have to perform this stupid procedure once every minute. I'm in desperate need of Internet and am not a fan of stealing WiFi from the neighbors (LOL, they actually all hired me to secure them) so I bought a Samsung Galaxy "Indulge" distributed by MetroPCS... Oh boy, what a rip off as far as Internet service. The phone is awesome, though. So I'm connected to (see below) what Linux claims to represent itself as a USB 2.0 port, but I'm pretty sure that it's a 1.0 port. Maybe I was wrong (or drunk?) when I made that assumption. Anyway, it's working, with no disconnection, even when uploading and downloading simultaneously. If anyone wants screenshots, just reply to this message/post. I'll gladly provide them. Everybody, DO NOT GIVE UP!

-Bryan

Here's my "lsusb" output from a Linux shell (bash):

bryan@bryan-linux-desktop:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 006: ID 046d:c315 Logitech, Inc. Classic New Touch Keyboard
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 045e:00cb Microsoft Corp. Basic Optical Mouse v2.0
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 108: ID 04e8:681c Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:0b01 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 82x0C
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
  19. earf

earf New Member

Additional Information: Here is a segment of the output of the "dmesg" command (Linux). It will shed some light on this situation, especially in contrast with the previously provided information. I connected the Android device (Samsung Galaxy Indulge) to the USB ports I had my keyboard and mouse on, and connected those to the ports that I had the Android device connected to. You can see the switch if you read (carefully) the output of dmesg below. Cheers!

---

[115031.516284] scsi109 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    [115031.523154] usb-storage: device found at 105
    [115031.523156] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    [115036.524258] usb-storage: device scan complete
    [115036.525878] scsi 109:0:0:0: Direct-Access SAMSUNG SCH-R910 Card 0000 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
    [115036.527766] sd 109:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg4 type 0
    [115036.533860] sd 109:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI removable disk
    [115043.820021] easytether0: no IPv6 routers present
    [115328.125210] usb 1-3: USB disconnect, address 105
    [115338.763525] usb 2-6: USB disconnect, address 4
    [115342.060019] usb 2-3: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 5
    [115342.287668] usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [115342.300817] input: Microsoft Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.0/usb2/2-3/2-3:1.0/input/input7
    [115342.300925] generic-usb 0003:045E:00CB.0004: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 ] on usb-0000:00:0b.0-3/input0
    [115347.468964] usb 2-5: USB disconnect, address 3
    [115358.271279] usb 2-4: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
    [115358.499590] usb 2-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [115358.510794] input: Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.0/usb2/2-4/2-4:1.0/input/input8
    [115358.510894] generic-usb 0003:046D:C315.0005: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard] on usb-0000:00:0b.0-4/input0
    [115370.901272] usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 108
    [115371.053567] usb 1-5: configuration #3 chosen from 1 choice
    [115371.054369] cdc_acm 1-5:3.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
    [115371.054479] cdc_acm 1-5:3.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
    [115371.061771] scsi110 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    [115371.064641] usb-storage: device found at 108
    [115371.064644] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    [115376.062667] usb-storage: device scan complete
    [115376.064398] scsi 110:0:0:0: Direct-Access SAMSUNG SCH-R910 Card 0000 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
    [115376.064780] sd 110:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg4 type 0
    [115376.068352] sd 110:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI removable disk
    [115416.030010] easytether0: no IPv6 routers present
    bryan@bryan-linux-desktop:~$
  20. earf

earf New Member

Here is an image of the current connections to my motherboard. Keep in mind that the order of the connected devices was REVERSED when the problem was occurring and that the KYBD and MOUSE were plugged into both ports on the left, where now ONLY the Android device is connected. Hopefully these details help. EasyTether is staying connected now, regardless of Internet speed, throughput or network availability. It does not make sense how the devices are being recognized (USB 1.0 versus 2.0). Maybe this motherboard is wired up a bit weird..? It's an XFX "750I" 72P9 v1.0. CROSS-REFERENCE this image with the output of the "lsusb" command (shown above (in previous post), but posted again below for convenience):

bryan@bryan-linux-desktop:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 006: ID 046d:c315 Logitech, Inc. Classic New Touch Keyboard
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 045e:00cb Microsoft Corp. Basic Optical Mouse v2.0
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 108: ID 04e8:681c Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:0b01 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 82x0C
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    bryan@bryan-linux-desktop:~$

Click Show button for picture detail
    [​IMG]
  21. earf

earf New Member

One other detail: If the smartphone disconnects the session, this is irrelevant to the post here. That is a separate issue, but I have NOT encountered it until just now when I was connecting and disconnecting the USB storage (SD) card repeatedly (to see how easy it would be to break the connection - it wasn't easy). Here is an example, in a Linux shell, of the smartphone choosing to disconnect the session:

bryan@bryan-linux-desktop:~$ easytether connect R910******** #[masked for privacy]
    connection established
    run 'sudo dhclient easytether0' to configure the network interface
    press Ctrl-C to disconnect
    connection closed from the smartphone

In the case of the original problem (this entire post) the console output would never state that the "connection closed from the smartphone" but would simply drop back to the shell, giving no verbose details.
  22. s_special

s_special Well-Known Member

i did an experiment and switched to "charge only" when connected instead of "disk drive" and i feel like it disconnects less often
  23. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Your image in post # 21 has made this thread very hard to read. Please conider editing your post and putting it behind a "hide" (use the H at the far side of the tool bar in the compose message box..you may have to click on "go advanced" at the the bottom.)

This text has been hidden.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  24. qquackk

qquackk New Member

I am not using the EVO but I started having the same problem when I switched from using EasyTether on a MyTouch 3G to a MyTouch Slide. I tried absolutely everything to get it to work and it ended up being just the way my phone was mounted. When I mounted it as "USB charge only" instead of "Storage Device" it went from dropping the connection every 30 seconds to staying online almost indefinitely. I don't know if your phones have those choices for mounting, but thought I would share that with you, in case it might help. I know I was beyond frustrated!!

...Haha! Just realized someone said the same thing above! Hope it works for you guys!
    Old Shadow likes this.
  25. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Welcome to the forums!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.