EasyTether vs PDA NetSupport

1. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

Im having problems with my broadband hookup at home, so I tried using EasyTether for the first time. Works pretty well. What does PDAnet do that Easytether doesn't? And what's the difference between the paid and free versions of PDAnet?

Advertisement
    :
  2. shappy

shappy Well-Known Member

I only know that the difference between the paid and free version of PDANet is that the paid version can access secure HTTPS websites, and the free version won't.
  3. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

you guys should try Barnacle. it's a free app in the market that allows wireless tethering on non-rooted Droids. prior to Barnacle, you had to be rooted for wifi tether.
  4. Crondar

Crondar Active Member

Barnacle needs root access also, says it doesn't need a custom rom, but you have to have su permissions. :(
  5. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

So that's it, huh? Thanks.
    The experience I had with EasyTether was ok, but not terrific. Sometimes I would get "the page cannot be displayed", but when I re-loaded it, it would come up. The speed was pretty good. This was using Firefox; I didn't try IE.
  6. wyzird

wyzird Well-Known Member

I use PDA net and it works just fine. I still have 1.5 on my eris.
  7. Thedarksunlight

Thedarksunlight Well-Known Member

So did you root your phone or the app let you tether without?

I always thought it was really cool to use ur phone as a mobile wireless hub but at the same time I do not want to root the phone incase I brick it or something doesnt work after doing it.
  8. false_apology

false_apology Well-Known Member

You can tether with the USB cable without root. PDANet and EasyTether both do tethering through the cable.

You need root permissions to get WiFi/hotspot tethering working.
  9. Haruspex

Haruspex Member

EasyTether is now just a crappy knock-off of PDANet:

"You can register the already downloaded EasyTether for $9.95, PayPal and all credit cards are accepted. EasyTether Lite will block secure sites (https) after some time, http sites will work forever though."

Google Android Tethering Solution

It doesn't support Mac, and everything else is the same or slightly less reliable.

However, it does cost something more reasonable.
    Worklady1632 likes this.
  10. cpupeli1

cpupeli1 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if EasyTether works on the leaked 2.1? ....I am running 2.1 v2 and cannot seem to get it working.

I have 64bit Windows 7 and the proper drivers installed. Each time I try to start EasyTether on my phone it immediately force closes. I know my computer is recognizing my phone because when I right click the EasyTether icon on the bottom right I have the option to connect to my Eris which is labeled 'Connect via Android - (HT9CDHG01003)'

I click that and get a get an error saying Connection attempt failed. Enable USB mode on your smartphone.

Any ideas??
    Worklady1632 likes this.
  11. TBC_titan

TBC_titan New Member

And it's because of that very issue that I refuse to use PDANet anymore. I have to chalk it up to petty greed on PDA's side.
    If it's not petty greed, then why can Easy Tether find a way to allow users to access https on their free version and PDA can't?

Easy tether lite gets my vote.

cpupeli,
    Yes Easy tether works on the leaked 2.1 on Eris. I have an Eris with the leaked 2.1 and I love it.

12. I don't think ET Lite allows you HTTPS access anymore. It was like that for the trial. But after some time they too made you upgrade so it blocked HTTPS. So you can still use it for tethering, but you can't log in to sites like GMail and Facebook.
  13. Here's a link to the old EasyTether Lite and the computer app needed to be installed. It should not update, and therefore, allow you to access HTTPS.

It is still Easy Tether Lite, and I am not providing a link to the version you have to pay for.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yj2bsj
  14. EddieVersatile

EddieVersatile Well-Known Member

EasyTether Lite (free from Market)
    [​IMG]

PDANet (free version from Market)
    [​IMG]

I get about the same results between the 2.. I don't see what the big deal about debating the 2 is lol... They both do their jobs.. Who cares if one is 100kbps faster than the other.. You no longer need WiFi regardless of which one you decide to use...

I think it will be a while before I will want to get rid of my actual internet provider though.. lol
    (Charter High Speed)
    [​IMG]
  15. Man, Charter is ridiculous. I get upwards of 2.4 Mbps in my apartment in Auburn, and that's with four people to an apartment and twelve apartments a building and about sixteen buildings. 2.4 Mbps per person. And that's on torrents while playing MW2.
  16. EddieVersatile

EddieVersatile Well-Known Member

HAHA yeah man, I was actually surprised when I ran that test just a little while ago, I was under the impression i had 10mbps, But i guess their commercials (talking about upgrading everyones speed for free) where right!
    You may be better off at times using your Phone as a tethered modem if you are only getting 2.4 mbps, Because that may be less depending on how the network is setup there.. Check out that site, speedtest.net and see what it's telling you you are getting :)

17. I've been using it since I was a kid.I get about 1.5 on 3G and DSL at my parents' house is 1.5...maybe.

It's fast for browsing, but for downloading it isn't.

In my apt. I can get 700 kb/s if it's an FTP link, which I prefer over torrents. Some things you can't get as FTP, though.
  18. cpupeli1

cpupeli1 Well-Known Member

Well I have to thank you for this thus far. This is the only version I can actually run on my phone without it force crashing immediately. The Lite version just doesn't seem to want to work for me. But this version which is the BETA I don't think had support for x64-bit systems yet. I think this because the .ZIP you provided has an x86.MSI inside of it.

In addition, I would assume that since this BETA has expired (says version will expire 2/18/2010) that it would probably effect it as well? But since THIS version works on my phone and the lite version doesn't I'm confused.....

It connects to my phone now and USB tethering is enabled on my Eris (as well as debugging)....but nothing....I cannot access any sites. 'PdaNet Modem' comes up under 'Dial-up and VPN' under my network connections is that correct with PdaNet showing up? I did have PdaNet installed at one point.

One last thing, after I 'connect' my phone to my computer using EasyTether, the network connection labeled 'PdaNet Modem' changes from ''No network access'' to ''No internet access''

SO....I'm frustrated as hell lol, I finally get it to not force close and nothing works. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.
  19. Yes, I put a x86 in there. My bad. I missed the x64 part, I guess. Maybe it doesn't work on 64 bit processors..or something...dunno.
  20. jamesj2

jamesj2 New Member

Hello all,

I'm using pdanet 2.17 in Portland Oregon, and my speed test was .71 DL and .42 UL ! The ping was to Los Angeles. Am I doing something wrong. Its ok for browsing, but not for streaming video. Any help?
  21. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Do you have a good, consistent signal on your phone? I can only get like, .5 Mb in my basement, but in my backyard, it goes up to 1.5 Mb. And the tower is about a mile or two away outside of town.
  22. Your speedtest was pinging LA? That's fine. The closer, the better, though. You can choose where you wish to ping, though. Perhaps LA is the closest server, but I would assume Seattle would have one. Even Portland itself should have one.

But you can change your server.
  23. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Because a company who makes a great product and wants to make money off of it is such a terrible terrible thing!
  24. morganpants

morganpants Well-Known Member

installed easytether last night on my laptop and it worked best, pda version gave me issues. had 2.4megs down and 0.85megs up
  25. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

EasyTether is cheap for what it provides you, plus the lite version will get you going for awhile to see if it'll work in your setup or not. I see no reason not to give it a try and if it doesn't work you aren't out anything. If it does work, its only $10 and i'm happy to support a developer making tools that i can use and will save me $60/mo. I had a usb727 modem for my laptop until earlier this month when i cancelled the service. So its saving me $60/mo from here on out. Thats quite a deal if you ask me.
    thenestor likes this.