• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ebay battery

funpig

Android Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2010
I posted in another thread that I ordered a battery off of ebay from Hong Kong for about $4 with free shipping (to Vancouver, Canada). The vendor is called neewer:

Lithium Ion Battery For LG P500/GW820 LGIP-400N P509 | eBay

The shipping took almost 3 weeks (cheap international postal shipping).

I charged up the phone for 6 hours the first time, as recommended. It felt just a tiny bit warm during the charging.

It claims to have 2500 mA which is substantially more than the OEM battery. So far, I have had it on standby with the cell on but with no calls. I have only used a very small amount of display/wifi usage (1.5 hours, 2%). I am currently on vacation and have not used the phone much. After 3 days and 3hours, the battery still shows 30%. This is substantially better than my OEM battery (I believe even when it was new).

I will recharge and test some more and let you all know.

For $4, so far, I would recommend it.

Just ordered one, thanks for the head's up! The 2500 mAh is probably inaccurate though. Most likely close to half that... These chinese suppliers are very lenient on power measurements and usually rate the battery higher than it is.

Very good battery life you're getting though. Will slap it into my girlfriend's phone to see how it handles.

Upvote 0
Is there any app or way to determine the actual mAh of the battery?

I have had it for one week and so far it has worked very well. The battery life is still similar to what I reported in my first post after another recharge. No unusual drop in battery level according to the built in battery usage.

Upvote 0
Is there any app or way to determine the actual mAh of the battery?

I have had it for one week and so far it has worked very well. The battery life is still similar to what I reported in my first post after another recharge. No unusual drop in battery level according to the built in battery usage.

If you get phone informational apps like Quicols iSystem for example, you might get info like battery temp and battery drain status... But to be honest, I don't know a battery that gives you accurate mAh rating. A Li-Ion battery usually charges up to 4.2V roughly and drains down to 3.7V before powering down, otherwise battery might not have enough juice to charge up again.

I just found this thread on XDA that mentions Battery Monitor Widget:

Battery mAh measure? - xda-developers

And this article if you're REALLY motivated explains how to measure mAh with a multimeter:

How to Measure mAh with a Multimeter | eHow.com

Enjoy! ;)

Upvote 0
ummm am I reading this right? That is not $4.... it's $104...

I have noticed that every once in a while, the price for that particular battery gets goofed up on eBay. I sent a message to the Vendor pointing out the weird price increase. Hopefully, he will fix it.

It has been almost 3 weeks and it is still working great. I am back from my vacation and more or less using it normally (although I am more of a tab user than a phone user now). I get around two days between charges which is much better than before. I leave the wifi on all the time and never turn off the phone.

PS it looks like a Canadian company is importing and reselling the same battery for about $11:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lithium-Ion-Battery-LG-P500-GW820-LGIP-400N-P509-/190717616794?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2c67a7e29a

Upvote 0
I have noticed that every once in a while, the price for that particular battery gets goofed up on eBay. I sent a message to the Vendor pointing out the weird price increase. Hopefully, he will fix it.

It has been almost 3 weeks and it is still working great. I am back from my vacation and more or less using it normally (although I am more of a tab user than a phone user now). I get around two days between charges which is much better than before. I leave the wifi on all the time and never turn off the phone.

PS it looks like a Canadian company is importing and reselling the same battery for about $11:
Lithium Ion Battery For LG P500/GW820 LGIP-400N P509 | eBay

Now now, admit it, you're the one who bought all of the vendor's stock so he bumped pricing so people would stop ordering while you sell them for a profit in Canada! :D hahah

Still waiting for mine to be delivered. Will post impressions once I've gotten it.

Upvote 0
Here is my message to neewer, the Hong Kong supplier, and his response. :

Dear funpig,

Thanks for your contact and attention , we will check this
listing right now.

listing price may be raised for 100 usd/gbp/cad/aud
to avoid more transactions before we get replacement from
supplier"

Please let us know if we can be any of your further
assistance.

Regards

Patrick

----- Original Message -----

Dear neewer,

I bought this battery for about $4 and have been pleased with
quality. I have referred your ad to other users. But why has price
been increased to $104 ?! If this is a mistake, you should fix
it!

-funpig

Upvote 0
Here is my message to neewer, the Hong Kong supplier, and his response. :

Dear funpig,

Thanks for your contact and attention , we will check this
listing right now.

listing price may be raised for 100 usd/gbp/cad/aud
to avoid more transactions before we get replacement from
supplier"

Please let us know if we can be any of your further
assistance.

Regards

Patrick

----- Original Message -----

Dear neewer,

I bought this battery for about $4 and have been pleased with
quality. I have referred your ad to other users. But why has price
been increased to $104 ?! If this is a mistake, you should fix
it!

-funpig

Yeah, that's usually why they do this. That and the fact that removing the listing would complicate things. ;) And if someone purchases a battery at 104$, they make more than 2600% profit. :p

Upvote 0
I actually make very few calls on my phone. But today, I was caught in a traffic jam and I had to do a 40 minute conference call using the LG's speakerphone. The phone display was on the whole time (50% brightness). The 40 minute call only used up about 15% of the battery (from 100 to 85). The battery usage performance seems to be pretty good. However, after the 40 minute call, the battery was pretty hot (is this normal?).

One note after the 2.3.3 update, I find that the stock telephone contacts search to be extremely laggy. Everytime I type in a letter of a name, the display lags. Is this the same for the rest of you??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones