eBook Reader Problems

Last Updated:

1. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Active Member This Topic's Starter

Jan 8, 2010
    Although I have read the threads on using Android devices as an eBook reader, I am unable to get a clear picture of what's available. I generally buy eBooks from Sony's store, which at least sometimes delivers epub files. These must be encoded as restricted though, because neither of the two eReaders I installed on my NexusOne would recognize the Sony files (though they worked on free books available). So I wonder whether there is any reader I can install that will allow me to view purchased books from Sony; I'm not trying to pirate anything here, as I've paid for the books, just frustrated that I can't read them on Nexus One. Maybe the answer is to stop buying from Sony and purchase from Barns & Noble instead, which appears to have an Android reader available for download, but I'm not sure whether that will work even on B&N books, and I'd like to stick with Sony. Any suggestions are welcome.

2. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I don't know of any epub readers that will handle DRM yet, but on the following Nook "compare with Kindle" link, check out the "LendMe" bit;

Nook Help and FAQs, eBook Reader, eBook Device - Barnes*&*Noble

Says there that in early 2010 you'll be able to "lend" books to Android-based phones, and there's already an iphone reader for their books so hopefully that'll mean an android-based reader is on the way.

Problem is of course if it's not a standard format (they say no other e-reader can handle their books, and they say that like it's a good thing) then I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, there's nothing quite as bad as vendor tie-in.