1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

eBuddy Hijacks your Status

Last Updated:

1. adamajah

adamajah Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I've been using ebuddy as an AIM and gtalk client for a couple weeks now and diggin' it... BUT the other day a buddy IM'd me and said "Hey eBuddy looks cool... you like it?" and I was confused and didn't know how she knew I was using eBuddy. SO, I IM'd myself on my computer and saw that eBuddy had hijacked my status with "- on my mobile with eBuddy www.ebuddy.com/android".

It made me sad. :( If I enter in my own personal status, is still appends it with the above self-promoting message.

Anyone know how to disable this?

Maybe Meebo is worth a look?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem like a huge imposition, for a free app that works well, to me.

3. adamajah

adamajah Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

True that it's not really a huge deal, but the vast majority of IM programs (not just apps) are free, and I've never had one that puts ads in your status line. I just think it's sneaky and puts eBuddy below the status quo.

4. Talisman

Talisman Member

I'm also severly pissed off on this. Unfortunately eBuddy is the only multiprotocol client that doesn't eat my battery in notime. I wonder if it's serverside or if it could be patched...

5. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Nimbuzz is the way to go. The latest version released a few days ago stops the issue of not allowing the phone to sleep.

6. Talisman

Talisman Member

Sounds great, I just threw out Nimbuzz a few weeks ago. Did they also fix the extreme CPU consumption so the phone can be used for other things without a lot of pain while Nimbuzz is running?

7. bluenova

I've been using Nimbuzz constantly since they sorted the sleep issue and haven't had any proformance issues.

8. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Nimbuzz looks promising but recent market comments still show a number of problems with the latest release.

9. bluenova

The latest release was only a few days ago. The previous version did have a number of problems but this one seems rock solid so far.

10. Talisman

Talisman Member

I'm sorry but bluenova - do you work there? Because I just ran Nimbuzz for a while and it made my phone just as unsable as before. Maybe this is OK for 1Ghz phones, but on my i7500 I can't deal with such a performance degrade. Maybe I'm running too many protocols or the there is a problem with a certain protocol you don't use, however I find that unlikely since that should be handled serverside..

11. bluenova

No I don't have any affiliations to Nimbuzz. I'm running HTC Hero Android 1.5 and it's working fine. That's all.

12. Job Killer

Job Killer New Member

Im sorry, but spam like "Sent from my [company name] [product name]" makes me lower my expectations of the senders abilities in general. It's a big NO in conversations.

13. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

I don't like apps that does that, I tried ebuddy and the first day my sister messeaged me "you have an android?", lol my sister didn't know what phone I have. There's a couple other message apps out there that broadcast it as well, I'm using IMEasy for now (I think dev pulled it off the Market for some reason) since it allows me to increase the font size whereas none of the other msg apps do.

14. barqers

barqers Well-Known Member

Only problem with most other clients is they don't utilize push notifications whereas ebuddy does. Saves on network usage.

15. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

I might try Nimbuzz again as it has been updated.

At the moment I use IMO which seems to be pretty good and you have the option to have your own status or theirs.