• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

eBuddy Messenger: An excellent chat client!

R

RyanCH

When I first bought my T-Mobile G1, I immediately set out to find a reliable chat client since that's what I spend most of my time doing, chatting with my friends over AIM and Yahoo IM. One of the first apps I found was eBuddy. It took me just a few moments to set up, and I loved it.
1e6c706a250f9eea7ebc98236264a211.jpg

Once you open the application, you're treated to two simple buttons. One is for signing up for an eBuddy account, which is quick and painless.
6707e496342677ee144273ed8a54f04d.jpg

When you've got that set up, you're logged into eBuddy servers. At this point, you'll be prompted to add your messanger accounts, such as Yahoo and AIM. It's as quick and easy as signing in from your desktop, and you can have multiple accounts logged in at the same time, which is really useful if your friends are spread out over different services.
9bc1965ddc1b5839081f9af82e30e901.jpg

Along the top of the application, you can see three spaces, one for friends, accounts (shown above) and current conversations, making it easy to switch back and forth. The current conversation tab also alerts you with a small red icon and the number of new messages you have waiting for you.
14dd29c4256fdb570bce7d393cfc0430.jpg
ea7ff734dbe2b6108323023a8c783f6a.jpg

When in a chat, it displays your contacts name, icon and messages to the left, while displaying your own messages to the right, color coded in orange to distinguish the two sets of messages.
3583b87e937abdd3ea991848bfeb101e.jpg

The options menu is simple and short, allowing you to set alert sounds, LEDs and vibrate. Sadly, it doesn't allow you to customize your alert sounds or LED.
Overall, eBuddy is definitely one of the best Android apps for instant messaging. It's drop dead simple, with a good looking user interface, easy to interact with and keeps you connected to your online friends. 5/5 stars for this great app.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones