• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Eclipse and ADB - best settings?

edojones

Jun 17, 2010
I am running Eclipse Galileo and ADB on a Win XP SP3 machine but I am having trouble getting a reliable connection to the ADB so I can run and/or debug my Android app. It can take upto 20 minutes sometimes just to get a connection by pressing CTRL-F11, watch the connection fail and then trying again until I get a connection, I don't change any code or settings, I am just trying to get the thing to work! Here are a selection of error messages I am getting:

"Failed to upload me.apk on device 'emulator-5554'"
"com.android.ddmlib.AdbCommandRejectedException: device not found
Launch canceled!"
"emulator-5554 disconnected! Cancelling"
"Launch error: adb rejected command: device not found"
"emulator: ERROR: the user data image is used by another emulator. aborting"

The emulator never fails to open, but of course with the error reported my app wont run. I have tried the tip I have seen elsewhere in these forums of trying to reset the ADB through the Devices tab but that just upsets things and then nothing will run, instead I get a stream of "unable to connect, attempt 1..2...3 etc" messages.

I must be doing something wrong or have missed a setting somewhere as I'm sure it shouldn't be this difficult just to get the emulator going with my app!!

I am using Eclipse Galileo build 20100218-1602 with Java 1.6.0_22 on a 3.2GHz Celeron Win XP machine with 2Gb RAM.

Any help would be great, thanks!

UPDATE: I read somewhere else in these forums that unticking the Android startup animation helps so I have done this.... and it works! Ok, so it is not 100% fixed as I still occasionally get the errors I mentioned but at least I can keep the emulator open and Eclipse/ADB doesn't complain all the time, making development soooo much easier.

Anybody have an idea why this may be so?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones