Eclipse unusable...

Last Updated:

1. XsCode

XsCode Member This Topic's Starter

I've set up eclipse with the SDK and everything was fine until I started trying to do anything. The simplest things like clicking from XML view to Layout view cause Eclipse to crash or error and freeze. I was so eager and excited to start developing for android but now I just want to forget it! Any alternative IDE's or tips on getting Eclipse to run stable?

TIA

Advertisement
  2. Jacob Malliet

Jacob Malliet Active Member

Are you using eclipse 3.6? If so you need to downgrade to 3.5 as Google has said their current adt isn't compatible with eclipse 3.6.

3. XsCode

XsCode Member This Topic's Starter

It seems the same with 3.6 and 3.5. I'm following a tutorial using 3.5 and it asked me to rename main.xml to scores.xml, so I right clicked on main.xml and it hung Eclipse. I've been developing in VB on windows for over 16 years and I never got so frustrated as I have in 1 day with this!

I just opened task manager to kill the process and noticed that the memory used was increasing by 2mb a sec and was running at 680mb and counting! something is seriously wrong!

4. cp1

cp1 Well-Known Member

I have had it crash a couple times on me when editing XML -- every key I type in the xml document would make the properties tab recalculate all the properties. After a few lines it crashed. You might see if this is the case and try to disable the properties window. Or reinstall eclipse I guess.

How much RAM do you have?

5. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Have you tried working in a completely new workspace?
    It might be worth a try, seeing as it's not working at all for you at the moment.

I've had problems in the past when my workspace has gotten messed up, and I've had to manually fix or remove configuration files. If it's crashed on you then it might have left your workspace in a bad state.

I'd try a completely new workspace, then create a new project - don't copy over anything from your previous workspace. If it still crashes all the time then it must be the Eclipse installation or one of the plug-ins. But you might get lucky.

It won't be any consolation to you, but Eclipse is usually pretty stable.

When I started with it a few years ago I got frustrated with it too, and it used to crash on me. Maybe it's got better (for most of us), or maybe I've just developed work habits that don't cause it to crash.

Mark

6. guarnibl

guarnibl New Member

I'm having the same problem under Windows 7. The simplest tasks cause Eclipse (I got the latest version from their web site, as recommended). I'm running Windows 7 x64.

I've got 16 GB of RAM, so I know that's not the problem.

7. domokato

domokato New Member

I am having a similar problem under Windows 7 x64 (4GB RAM), using Eclipse 3.5.2. It crashes (freezes indefinitely, no error) randomly.

8. Jmmma53

Jmmma53 New Member

Eclipse and the ADT plugin work great on linux for me, but it is un-usable for me also on Windows, so for development on windows, I just use netbeans and the nbandroid plugin for it. Works great, but it is missing some features from the adt eclipse plugin, such as the visual xml layout editor, but there's other programs that you can use for it.

9. domokato

domokato New Member

Thanks for the tip. Netbeans + nbandroid is working much better

10. Trinhbo

Trinhbo Member

11. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

I am using Eclipse 3.5 with JDK6 update 21 on two different computers and not run into any problems.

12. russellbateman

russellbateman New Member

If you're running Eclipse on Windows, you're not running jdk1.6.0_21.

13. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

I'd been in the same position since I grabbed Eclipse et al a couple of weeks ago on my W7 behemoth - everything fine right up to the point when I opened something like the Manifest then - nada.

I may try the Linux suggestions with Ubuntu 10.04 this weekend then.

Thanks!