Edit ROM apps?

Last Updated:

1. ryedunn

ryedunn Member This Topic's Starter

Quick question, can you add / delete applications in a ROM or would it break something?

For example, if I downloaded fresh, extracted the zip, and deleted /system/app/HTCFacebook.apk then flashed the rom. Would this work or do I have the potential of breaking something bigger behind the scenes?

Advertisement
  2. t0ast3d

t0ast3d Well-Known Member

You could break something, but as long as your not going crazy deleting shit, I'm sure you'll be fine

3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I've been wondering the same thing....figured the same as what toasted said, just haven't had time

sure seems easier than deleting them once they are on the phone

4. ryedunn

ryedunn Member This Topic's Starter

Thats a great point Mr. Ed. How can I delete these once they are on the phone. I thought that would be possible once I rooted my phone. Once in applications, the uninstall is grayed out, so how can it be done? Is there a tutorial on how to do this?

And for toasted, why would a rom dev add all these apps instead of letting the users install them themselves? Just curious?

5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

they don't add all of them...they kind of pick and choose base off what users have told them they would still like to use.

once on the phone I used titanium backup and a list of "safe to remove" apks over at xda forums.

there are a few threads on it but they can be hard to find. pm me if you have issues and i can send you the link from home. don't have it with me at the moment .