"Edited by.." timeout setting.

Last Updated:

1. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, I was curious if it would be possible to set the forum to allow a longer period of time for users to edit their posts without having the "edited by" message displayed. It doesn't have to be a long period, like say 30 seconds to a minute. This would still prevent people (for the most part) from editing their post after someone replied, without it looking like it hadn't been edited.

I ask this because personally I think of something right after I hit submit I want to add, but really hate seeing the edited message on all my posts.. =/

I know this can be done in vbulletin, and if memory serves it is a standard option. It has been a while since I ran a vB site so I could be wrong, if it requires a script edit to put in the function.. please disregard this suggestion.

Advertisement
  2. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Can only do in one minute intervals. Would rather leave as is - but will think on it..

3. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

i will second this, many people will do a quick edit right after making a post and it uglies up your post pretty good to see that every time.

having a short overall edit time is good for the site, i think i suggested it before, but that edit message is booty!

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

the problem with the edit message, aside from caddy's point about it being fugly, it that it hugs the bottom of your post instead of being down by the buttons

5. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

agreed; that's why i put that little ball as my signature - to get a little space there

you could just add a margin-top: n px; to the .smallfont class (or rather make a new class for edits, since it's probably used elsewhere as well)
    HTML:
    2. <!-- edit note -->
    3.     <div class="smallfont">
    4.         <hr size="1" style="color:#D1D1E1; background-color:#D1D1E1" />
    5.         <em>
    6.             <a rel="nofollow" href="http://androidforums.com/posthistory.php?p=385461">Last edited by mrqs</a>; Today at <span class="time">12:36 PM</span>.
    7.         </em>
    8.     </div>
    9. <!-- / edit note -->

6. Phases

Yep, or we could easily enough do that. Or move it down by the edit button, or up by the title, or over the left and under the user name. Or in the bottom left corner of the web page and put little hearts by it.

:p

I can't believe you guys are so worried about the "edited by" msg..

Side note, it's turned off for premium members now. Just sayin'.

7. Phases

Done, moved down to buttons row.

8. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

looks a lot better there.

9. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

10. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

Back to the original request, I'll still vote for adding a small time buffer, even 1-2 minutes, to allow someone to edit their post without getting that added. Edits that quickly will rarely be done to substantially change what someone said (typically based on a response), but are done to fix spelling or grammar errors that they missed.

11. Phases

Changed it from 0 to 2 minutes - to edit with no edited by msg displayed.

IOWA and Shadowtech like this.